RAM Dual-Channel question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar

In Runtime
hi guys,

Quick question regarding RAM. One of my old computers, which has a Asus A7N8X motherboard, currently runs PC2700 DDR RAM x 2 256MB = 512MB in dual channel mode, both modules are made by "MT". Both memory modules are identical.

Now, I have fished out another RAM module, it is PC2700, 256MB, however it is manufactered by Nanya.

Now the motherboard has three DIMM slots. The manual claims that each slot supports Dual-Channel. So what would happen if I inserted the Nanya RAM into the system? Would I lose the dual channel mode and end up with single-channel 768MB RAM, or would I continue to have 768MB RAM - in dual channel mode?

Each module runs at 2.5CL.

Thanks.

Pretty sure you would be running in single channel. Although i was never really savvy on how much difference there is between running single and dual channel mode. Just put it in and see if it makes things run better or not.

Thanks. Well according to CPUZ, when I inserted the third RAM module, it still runs in "dual" mode.

...either CPUZ is wrong, which I doubt. Or it is genuinely running in dual channel mode.

No...you can't run dual channel with an odd number of memory sticks. But you probably won't notice a big difference, between the two channel modes.

thanks. Although why is cpu-z still telling me that the RAM is running in "dual" mode? Is it because all DIMM slots are taken? Maybe cpu-z regards it as dual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom