Which RAM to buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Muffin Man, or whoever else can help me,

I still don't understand what memory I can add. My computer says I have 512 MB total Physical Memory and 86.22 MB Available Physical Memory, 2 GB Virtual Memory and 1.96 GB Available Virtual Memory. Does that mean that it can hold 2GB but only has 512 MB installed? Does that mean it can hold 1 GB per slot in 2 slots? Or only 512 MB in each slot? So is there an empty slot? Do I have to have the same thing in both slots? If I have 512 MB in one slot can I add 1GB to the other slot or change both to 1 GB each or just add 512MB to the empty slot?

As you can guess, I know nothing about adding memory.

If I just know how much I can add or just what to purchase, I'll take it from there.:sick:

Thanks for saving me from a stroke.

your pc's motherboard has 2 ram slots, that support ddr 333mhz ram.

each slot can support a max of 1gb, for a total max of 2gigs...because there are 2 slots.

as it is right now, you only have a single 512mb stick occupying one of the ram slots, and the other ram slot is empty so you can add more ram to it.

so, to the ram slot that is empty, you can add another 512mb stick, which would bring your total up to 1gb
Newegg.com - PNY Optima 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Desktop Memory Model MD0512SD1-333 - Desktop Memory

or instead of getting 512mb, you could add a 1gb stick, which would bring your total up to 1.5gigs
Newegg.com - Patriot Signature 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) System Memory Model PSD1G333 - Desktop Memory

or, you could also remove that 512mb you already have completely, and add a 1gb stick to both of the slots which would bring your total up to 2gigs.
Newegg.com - PQI POWER Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model MD342GUOE-X2 - Desktop Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom