RAM

spacecadet11

In Runtime
Hello. When you buy RAM I think depending on the size..a different MHz speed is usually indicated.

When buying RAM..do you have to make sure that the speed of the ram you buy absolutely has to match with the ram you might already have?

Thanks for your response
Bye
SC

Hello. When you buy RAM I think depending on the size..a different MHz speed is usually indicated.

When buying RAM..do you have to make sure that the speed of the ram you buy absolutely has to match with the ram you might already have?

Thanks for your response
Bye
SC
It depends on what speed your motherboard can handle. If you don't know what speed it can handle, getting the same speed as what you currently have is the safest bet. The speed of the RAM module has nothing to do with the GB size.
For example:
You could have a 2GB PC3-12800 stick, which is rated at 1600MHz.

You could also have a 4GB PC2-5300 stick rated at only 667MHz.

Are you building a new system or upgrading an existing one? if you are upgrading what are you current specs and we can help you find the best ram for your needs.

If he's using the LENOVO spec's that you'd found, I think that was, uh, DDR2-4200. So maybe 2Gb per stick is his max, and the motherboard probably max's out at 4Gb total allowed, too. The Lenovo site can be more specific.

This is one of those scenarios where "buy local so exchanges can be easily made" might be the best counseling. The hard drives, no - I'd buy those on price-alone, but RAM might be tricky IF available. I tried to find DDR2-6400 from a local Fry's and was stuck with one brand ("and we've only got 4 sticks left..."). Git 'em while they're hot! Git yer hotdogs! Git yer hotdogs...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom