RAID5 Questions

tommer

Solid State Member
Hi there, I have just a few questions I would like to ask about a system upgrade - I was hoping someone would be so kind as to help me.

I wish to use RAID 5 to set up 4 SATA HDD's on my workstation. Each hard disk drive is 500Gb in size.

Should I use a PCI Raid controller or use the integrated controller?

In regards to this question, I only have the white PCI Slots and no PCI-E slots available - I'm worried that this would create a bottle neck if I used a PCI device.

I have also however heard rumors that using the integrated controller on the motherboard uses the CPU intensively. Would this create a noticeable difference on a iCore2Quad machine?

If I should buy a PCI Device, which one would you recommend?

Do they really all have to be the same model hdd?

I have a hard drive that is the same size as the other drives at what windows reports as '465GB' - However it is a different make and model, would this cause problems to be used in the RAID array? bear in mind the motherboard is from ~2006/7

Could I somehow move my windows installation, including all my programs, personal data etc into a RAID array? If so, how?

Edit;

After further reading i'm finding out that RAID 5 actually slows write speed - Is this true? Would it be beneficial for me to use Raid 10 with larger drives?

If you can answer any of these questions it will be a great help :) Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom