RAID1 problem (Inaccessible_boot_device)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clever_j

In Runtime
Hi guys need help here

i've got an IBM xSeries 206m Server here w/ built in raid capability.

I've got 2 Sata hard drives
SATA0 = Windows 2000 Server Operating System
SATA1 = empty hard drive

before i started to do a RAID array, it was fine... but as soon as i enabled the RAID support feature in BIOS, particularly in:

DEVICES AN DI/O PORTS > Advance Chipset Control

Windows wont boot anymore.. i get the BSOD:

"INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

So i figured maybe because im on raid mode now it expect the second hard drive to be setup for the raid thing.. so i did.. i went ahead and setup the raid0, and build it..

but im still getting the same error. :(

Please help..

you do know when you build a RAID array all data is wiped and you will have to reinstall windows onto the drive???

umm.. i know that raid0 builds are..

but umm.. raid1 (mirrors) are the same? i understood that RAID1 requires one SOURCE drive (which remains untoched) and one source drive (which will be whiped out)

and lastly, even before i did the raid build, simply switching the RAID feature on caused the error.. even if i remove the backup drive

Some motherboards will require you to load the RAID drivers via diskette or CD before setting up the RAID array.... Have you installed the RAID drivers?

that is correct, just remember that, u only get the capacity of one of the hard drives, i accidentally did that and thought one of my HD's was broken and i RMA'ed with a lot of stuff loaded and my documents, which i didn't backup, so the lesson is not to think u've lost half of ur HD space and that raid1 is not a substitute for backing up

Vern, if you had RAID1, then you shouldn't have lost anything, since the drives are mirrored.

ya didn't no that b4 and i ended up formatting the 1 HD, but it did give me a "NTRDL error thing, so i was like omg, blasted machine" but back then i was a dweeby 10 year old kid who could only build... P4's and newer Athlons XP's were dominating...... oh well... good times, good times.... :)

Some motherboards will require you to load the RAID drivers via diskette or CD before setting up the RAID array.... Have you installed the RAID drivers?

yes im pretty sure the raid drivers are fine because it's built into the IBM server.. and it does detect the drives i put there..

again, the main thing is.. even if i disconnect 1 of the drive (the backup) and just leave the original 1 in, i still get the error..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom