RAID1 - External HD backup system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazzer3

In Runtime
Hey Everyone,

I've got an ageing 160GB external hard drive that is becoming somewhat limiting to me, and I am looking to invest in something more substantial. I'm also becoming more and more aware of the reliability requirements, backing up etc, as my photo and music libraries grow ever larger.

So, my question is this, is there some sort of external hard drive system that would allow me to have two external hard drives in RAID1? So, that when I back up to the hard drives, it goes on both? So in essence, my back up is backed up?!

I hope this makes vague sense. There are two ways I could see it happening, either it being done via an adaptor, or one of those giant external hard drives that have two hard drives within them. Your recommendations on which would be a better system would be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot everyone,

Charlie -

I have a D-Link DNS-323 on my network that I use for storage.. (not backup, just storage). It is nice, because I have a webserver running on it now, and it is accessable from the internet, and I have FTP access too. This doesn't come with drives.....

Here is the review I put up at newegg on it....

Newegg.com - D-Link DNS-323 2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure RJ45, USB 2.0 - Retail
Pros: NAS box that does RAID, good transfer speeds, no complaints. I currently have an FTP server running that I can connect to over the WAN. I also have a fun_plug installed on this, so I have telnet access to the box, and Lighttpd webserver running that hosts my webpage, ALSO accessible over the WAN. Check out start - DNS323Wiki for info on the box, and adding custom modules to it.

Cons: Firmware does need improvement, but hey, if you did your homework, you would KNOW that this is a BRAND NEW item. Brand new items will ALWAYS have kinks that need to be ironed out, it is the nature of the industry... I bet that half of the people complaining about this also bought Pre-N wireless routers.... *snicker*......

Other Thoughts: I picked this up in the beginning of January, and have two 500 Gig 7200.10 Seagate drives in it running in a RAID1 array. I have had this running 24x7 with NO major issues to speak of, other than upgrading firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom