RAID Question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to infiltrator7
Default RAID Question

Hey guys. I'm currently running windows vista with 2 250 gb hard drives, with a total of 4 partitions. I'm planning on reformatting and upgrading to windows 7 soon. Would it be possible/a good idea to do a RAID 0 array with one partition (for the OS)? Is this partition for the OS even necessary? Also, I have a 500 gb external HD that I plan on using as a backup tool so I'm not too worried about the failure rate. Is there a way to use this USB external hard drive to mirror the RAID array, essentially creating a RAID 10 (or 01, whichever it is)? Thanks

JOIN THE 24 ZONE FORUMS
Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: RAID Question

Unfortunately to do a RAID 0+1 you need 4 drives. It won't work having 2 250Gb ones and 1 500Gb.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Thanks for the reply. I guess I could just run a backup via windows every few days just to keep everything up to date then.

Here's my second questiont though: Is it possible and a good idea to do two partitions over the RAID 0 array? One for windows and one for everything else?

JOIN THE 24 ZONE FORUMS
Old 01-15-2010, 02:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Not entirely sure what you mean. Are you going to split one drive into two partitions and RAID 0 them together? I don't even think that's possible, let alone a good idea.

OR are you going to partition each 250Gb drive with two partitions per drive, then RAID 0 a partition from one with a partition from the other? I suppose you could do that...I wouldn't say it'd be a good idea though.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 01-15-2010, 02:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

You can create a raid0 array and then partition it if you like. It acts like a single drive and can be partitioned as a single drive can. Set up the array first then partition it.

Performance improvements will not be too much but it will be a fun project.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiltrator7 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I guess I could just run a backup via windows every few days just to keep everything up to date then.
That's a better plan anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiltrator7 View Post
Here's my second questiont though: Is it possible and a good idea to do two partitions over the RAID 0 array? One for windows and one for everything else?
Sort of. There's not much point separating data from OS on a RAID 0 since you shouldn't really have your data there anyway. It's entirely possible (as Hefe said) but I would make this one big drive for windows and whatnot and store my "real" data somewhere else entirely.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

There is only one reason to partition a raid drive. So you can reinstall Windows frequently without messing with data files. Keep in mind all data should be backed up anyways and really have no reason to be on a raid0 array anyways.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

The only reason that I was planning on doing RAID is because then I wouldn't be limited to 250gb/drive/partition if I didn't RAID them together. I figured the weekly backup would take care of the data that I could potentially lose. It sounds like a lot of you guys are against this though so I think I might just leave the two drives as is essentially leaving me with two 250gb partitions. I hope I'm making sense...

JOIN THE 24 ZONE FORUMS
Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If you have your data backed up then go for it. It will give you a little performance increase and will be a good learning experience for you.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Not against it at all, it's a good idea and there is no reason not to if you are backing up your data, which you should be doing anyway.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread