Raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltynay

Patron
I thought I understood Raid and was about to set up my new build with 2 500gb in Raid 0 and a 320 gb. but I was just fliking through links and found out about a whole new set of raid levels e.g. Raid 7. Ive got 3 hardrives and my case can hold 4 I may buy an extra hdd if needed as the money doesnt matter. What would be the best Raid level for me? Ive got an E6600 and an evga 680i with 2gb of ram, the comp is going to be used for gaming and minor video editing there will also be an intranet server (internal website for a Lan network) which is too provide quick and proficient Media sharing with films, programs, music, pictures. I' plannning to upgrade the os to windows vista ultimate once the bugs are fixed. thanks for any insight as im lost lol

Matt

I would still say Raid 0 would be your best bet. For video editing and what not that would be super fast. You don't need extreme data redundancy (that provided with RAID 5 and such). Plus the cost savings of Raid 0 versus the others outweigh the benefits of a larger Raid scheme in my opinion.

Would You recommend a raid array involving all hdd's or keeping the 1tb as Raid 0 and having an extra 320gb for personal use i.e. operating system and general files even though the 320 would be slower.

Matt

it's hard to say what RAID level is best for you. Do you want data redundancy. All Raid 0 will do is make multiple drives look like one drive. In other words it will write data to both drives sequetially. The other RAID levels are all about keeping a constant backup some levels include parity checking etc. You probably just want RAID 0 you can always back up on a external HD. BTW raid 0 is not faster than a single HD.

Raid 0 has faster read times slower write times but the differences are negligible. I dont really need data protection as I can probably regain lost data from individually asking clients Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom