RAID 0 SSD without TRIM

tj_extreme

Daemon Poster
I want to get 2 120(8)gb SSD's to put in my G75. RAID 0, of course. Problem is the chipset (HM77) doesn't support TRIM for RAID 0. So I've done some digging through the internet and found this article, which was the one that told me my chipset doesn't have trim. So from that article I found this one. From there I found this. So what I'm wondering, is the background garbage collection good enough? Or do I NEED TRIM.

Also, looking at a pair of these.

I don't really see the need when one SSD is already quick enough.

As it stands, TRIM really isn't needed that much. When I think SSD, Plextor isn't one of the brands that comes to mind either lol.

I don't really see the need when one SSD is already quick enough.

As it stands, TRIM really isn't needed that much. When I think SSD, Plextor isn't one of the brands that comes to mind either lol.

I have two bays and just really want to have RAID :p No real reason I suppose. If I go for a hard drive for the second bay I'd go for a 2tb, which is actually more expensive than any of the SSD's I've looked at. Plus I have a 2tb passport that I keep most of my stuff on, so why not just get two SSD's?

Wasn't sure about TRIM. I just saw a lot of people saying how important it was, but I wanted some opinions here before I made my decision.

Plextor isn't my first choice either, but that model has gotten some great reviews.

I'm gonna go on a limb here and say somebody like you really doesn't need to worry about it. TRIM is there to maximize the life but I honestly haven't seen anything to really prove it as SSDs IMO haven't been around long enough to do longevity tests.

Back
Top Bottom