Raid 0 and 4x2GB 1600MHz on MSI 770-c45.

azor7878

Baseband Member
Hi, i'm planning on upgrading my PC and i have some questions about what my mobo can do and how to do it.
Is this board capable of operating 4 sticks of 2GB 1600MHz ram in duble dual channel? I found some info that only 2 slots can run 1600 and other two will be slow down to 1333.
Is there a option of using 2 drives in raid 0 on this mobo? I would like to know if it's capable and how to do it, i found this:
Raid Configuration; Basic Configuration Instructions; Setting Up The Nvraid Bios - Msi 770 C45 - AM3 AMD 770 HDMI Motherboard User Manual [Page 93]
instruction but don't really get how to actually configure this raid, also it seems to be using floppy drive which i don't own. Maybe i should purchase some cheap raid controller? But for that i wouldn't have more than $20.
Thanks for your help, here is a drive that i would like to this raid as well as my current one
my: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM
buy: TOSHIBA DT01ACA050 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

And here is my full specyfication:
MSI 770-45c
Modecom Carbon MC530
Phenom II x6 2,8Ghz 1055t
Radeon HD5770 1gb
ADATA 2x2GB 1600
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM

every thing that you have questions about will work just fine. That manual that you have supplied shows you how to get into the RAID configuration. Inside of that, you will be able to specifiy which drives you want to put in the RAID. Your MOBO will do RAID 1,0 and 1+0.
What do you plan on using the RAID for?

Just remember, when using RAID0, that's exactly how many files you'll be able to recover if the RAID fails :p.

I want to use 8gb, 4x2gb 1600 ram, can i do that? Thanks for the raid info. This PC will be used only for gaming, everything will be synced online with steam cloud/google drive, i won't store only copies of important files on raid 0 drives i'm not that stupid :D I want to boot from this raid and store everything on one or two partitions.

You can use 1600 RAM but you will need to run it at 1333. Before you put the extra sticks in switch your speed to 1333 or else chances of it not booting are pretty high.

Second the notion to SSD. Much higher speeds than RAID, and I don't mean throughput either.

I don't have the money. I live in poland and here i can have this toshiba for about $50, 150zł but cheapest worth anything 128gb ssd is $200, 600zł and that's just 128gb, will be nearly enough for the system and like five games, with second hdd i can double my current speed and get 1tb. I want to add a ssd eventually when i get the money.

You can use 1600 RAM but you will need to run it at 1333. Before you put the extra sticks in switch your speed to 1333 or else chances of it not booting are pretty high.

Second the notion to SSD. Much higher speeds than RAID, and I don't mean throughput either.

So should i even add this ram? Will 8gb 1333 perform better than 4gb 1600? And what about just replacing this 2gb sticks with 4gb sticks?
Will i get better performance in:
2x2gb 1600
2x4gb 1600
4x2gb 1333

Last edited:
You won't technically double your speed, which is the serious misconception. You increase raw throughput, or transfer speed, but the biggest difference and increase to an SSD is latency and literally no seek times. IOPS on an SSD completely trump any HDD because they can read and write several files all at once where as a HDD is stuck to one at a time and held back by how fast the head can reach the file in question on the platter. With an SSD you have plenty of space. You have your first HDD and the SSD combined.

Btw, makes no sense to say you live in Poland if your location says Ohio and you're linking to Newegg. If you really live in Poland you can link to Polish sites. Us smart people who use Chrome can automatically translate.

Back
Top Bottom