Quick ram question for older pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kisskerven

In Runtime
when looking at some ram I was just wondering

What is the "best" Ram for my current rig (in signature)

its an MSI kt3 ultra aru motherboard I believe, so it has 3 ddr slots.

Iam just trying to get some performance RAM to keep this thing alive until I can afford a new computer. (Phenom+)

I spent all my time researching DDR2's rams and speeds that when I went in I was like.. oh yea... its regular DDR1 .... lol...

Main Memory
• Three 184-pin DDR DIMM.
• Maximum memory size up to 3GB.
• Supports 2.5v DDR 200/266/333 SDRAM DIMM.

MSI Computer Corp. - Product

The information there shows that the board supports upto 3gb of PC2700 DDR333 memory. You can toss a pair of 1gb dimms in to see a boost there. But one look at the sig there shows that's about the limit you can do with some faster memory.

For performance memory newegg onliy sees a pair of 1gb kits(two 512s) of Kingston Hyper X memory seen at Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

For 2gb memory kits of regular ram(two 1gb dimms) newegg has a set for PQI, Crucial, and Kingston. Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!)

I ran a pair of Kingston ValueRam 1gb DDR400 dimms on the last build with good results and currently have a pair of DDR2 800 Hyper X dimms in use. While the performance memory has the lower latency simply moving up from 768mb or even 1gb to 2gb will be the thing to see the real gain there.

For the older case there simply grabbing a pair of 1gb dimms by one of the better names even on sale will see a boost there. Once you are planning out a new build you decide on the perfomance memory and the amount you want to use there.

After the next version of Windows 7 supposedly Microsoft has no plans for any further 32bit versions of Windows seeing the 3gb barrier where you can then slap plenty more then needed into a case. Well provided the chipset manufacturers also help in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom