Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
That board has 2 memory slots.... so it would be 2x 2Gb sticks to get to 4 GB....

Rule of thumb..... 90% of sales sites SUCK at listing tech specs. I recommend using Newegg for research. I say research, because I KNOW they only ship to the US, but they have by FAR the best setup with not only the tech specs, but also the customer reviews (IMO).

here is that board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131088

K M A N, are you still reviewing motherboards for your build? If that's the case, consider that mobo only supports DDR2-533, and I think you wanted at least 667Mhz memory.

It says it supports DDR2-800 on scan.

[EDIT] Ok so Newegg's Techinical Specification is totally different to scan. So which one should i beleive ? ive been told newegg..[EDIT]

Isn't that mobo like £20 more expensive? It's definitely better, it's the DS3's little brother, but now I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Also, when you're in doubt about a product specs, don't trust any e-tailer. Sure, in my experience Newegg usually has accurate specs, but to clear any doubt always check the product page at the manufacturer's website. Newegg conveniently provides a link to it.

Checking the manufacturer's site, the first board you proposed only supports 2GB of RAM (2x1GB). The last board you proposed, on the other hand, supports DDR2 800/667/533 memory and Dual Channel architecture support up to 8GB by 4 DIMM slots (quoted from manufacturer's site)

Edit: if you're interested on reading more about Gigabyte's cheap but high-quality line of motherboards, you can read this article: Gigabyte S Series Core 2 Duo Motherboard Review.

Ok Thanks meithen. I opted for this motherboard because its the heart of the system and so pays to spend a bit more money on it.

Anyone no about the overclockability of this mobo ?

Ok anyway you said you dont no what im looking for now. Well i want a motherboard that Supports Both 667Mhz and 800Mhz ram and up to 8gb (4 Slots) because i want 8gb for future proof as future games will need it.
And if it was ok - good at Overclocking that would be nice, and im trying to go for the better brands like gigabyte and asus asrock (not sure about asrock) im trying to avoid MSI as i dont think there good reliablity... But sure if im wrong and they are good that would be fine.

Thanks

8GB of RAM? I thought we had made it clear that such amounts of RAM are nonsense :). As I already mentioned, by the time a game requires 8GB of RAM, your new computer will be long obsolete. 2GB is almost overkill right now. Also know that unless you have a native 64-bit operating system, you can't install more than 4GB of RAM.

The Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 you posted is a fine motherboard. It probably has good overclocking capabilities, supports up to DDR2-800 RAM and is cheap (£67 at scan.co.uk). I recommend it.

If you can spend £10 more on the motherboard, go with the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. This board has been extensively tested for overclocking Core 2 Duos and is one of the best boards out there.

Ok Thanks ... I would never use 8Gb i just meant 8Gb capacity so i could use 4x1gb which i MAY use in the future. Hmmm im already very very very tight on my budget infact probably way over it.

I'll just get the best i can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom