Quick power supply and graphics card question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
Default Quick power supply and graphics card question

aight, i'm building my first media center and need some help. I have a case, mobo and processor. Guess all I need now is memory, HDDs (between 2-3TB), graphics card and power supply and other odds and ends which aren't a problem. 90% of what I am using this for is music and HD movies. the other 10% is your basic computing, so nothing special. 2 quiestions. 1) What is a good graphics card that will have HDMI out to put to a TV? Question 2, Will a 650w power supply be fine or should I shoot for 800-850?? I forget what mobo my buddy is givin me, I know it has at least a quad core processor if it makes a difference. Thanks guys.

noobXkyoob is offline  
Old 11-21-2009, 03:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Almighty Forensica
Yami's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 7,438
Default Re: Quick power supply and graphics card question

1) What is a good graphics card that will have HDMI out to put to a TV?
Look at an HD4650, or a 9600GT; I think there are versions of those with HDMI.
This would probably be perfect: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121338

Question 2, Will a 650w power supply be fine or should I shoot for 800-850??
800W is ridiculous overkill, and 650W is also far too high. Any media centre PC shouldn't need more than 400W. Get a good-quality 400-500W PSU, from a brand like Corsair, Antec, OCZ, BFG, CoolerMaster, Seasonic.
A couple of examples:
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Either of those will work fine.

Desktop i5-4440 - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - EVGA GTX970 - 4x4GB 1600MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Be Silent Base 800 - 3TB+1TB+640GB
Laptop i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz, 2x4GB 1600Mhz, GT640M, OCZ Agility 3 120GB
Smartphone HTC One M8 - Sense 7 - 6.0

Uni MSci Ethical Hacking, Coventry University
Work Trainee Cell Site Analyst
LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline  
Old 11-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Dauntae's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,807
Default Re: Quick power supply and graphics card question

I got one of the OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W for my other system and I have not had any issues with it and the modular was a nice perk too. Although I think the Corsair is a better brand the OCZ should be good for your use.

New system
NZXT Tempest 410 - I5-4670K - Asus Z87-Plus - SeaSonic SS-750KM3 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular PS
GPU MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G - CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB 1600 (2x8gig) - SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 -Seagate Barracuda 3-TB

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question on Video card for 250W power supply Dell Stuio Slim Ryman526 System Upgrades 9 02-10-2009 01:35 PM
What To Look For When Buying Computer Components Luke Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 25 01-07-2009 08:09 PM
Graphics Card and Power Supply ratzlaff System Upgrades 6 04-29-2008 11:55 AM
graphic card and power supply upgrade question cscaffidi System Upgrades 5 03-25-2008 07:45 PM
Dedicated power supply for a graphics card? wencke530 System Upgrades 13 02-23-2008 06:27 PM

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.