Quick MoBo question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFish1801

Solid State Member
Hey all, sry bout the question, i'm pretty new to all of this. I have an eMachines T3104 using a FIC VIA K8M-800M socket 754 socket mobo running a Sempron 3100+. and a gig of ram.

Q: I'd like to upgrade the power supply to support a 6600gt, will a 24-pin power supply work even tho it doesn't look like there's much room (it's a 20pin mobo)?

Thx all :D

~JFish

A new mobo will allow you to overclock, as well as choose the options you want.

A new mobo will also force you to wipe your hard drive and reinstall Windows, as well as everything else.

Something to think about.

Oh, your mobo is a microATX board, and your case is a mini-tower. You cannot use an ATX (full size) mobo. Your current mobo can handle up to a 3600+ CPU.

Your PSU is 300W.

Unless you have added some RAM, you may want to get another stick of 256MB.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Trotter, but I know for a fact that normal-size ATX power supplies will definitely fit into JFish's case. JFish has what we normally call a "Mini ATX Tower." Although his case is only large enough to support MicroATX motherboards, the screwholes and space in his case support regular-size ATX power supplies.

The only time one would need a true MicroATX power supply is if one had a slim MicroATX case, such as an Antec Minuet II. These power supplies are substantially smaller in size. They typically only feature 60mm fans instead of the standard 80mm or even 120mm fans used in standard ATX power supplies. Slim MicroATX cases such as these also only support half-height expansion cards, which is definitely not the case in JFish's system since it uses a full-height PCI card.

I would recommend looking more closely at a system's specification before jumping to conclusion next time. The power supply that JFish ordered will most definitely fit into his system. In fact, if he were to order any of the supplies you gave links to, those would NOT work in his system - they would not even screw in properly!

Just so you know, JFish, your power supply will work perfectly in your system. A more sensible upgrade than replacing your motherboard might be to purchase a set of high-CFM fans that would allow your system to run not only quieter, but also cooler. Your system can run up to a 92mm fan in the rear, so look into getting a nice Panaflo fan for the rear of your system.

hey yeah, DTemple was right! thx man, i was just about to send this sucker back!

MAKE DTEMPLE A MOD, HE KNOWS MORE, lol
peace

:cool:

Edit: But thx for the help trotter

Hey, can't be right all of the time.

I haven't tried to replace my PSU yet. I was going on the information that I was given. Guess I need to verify my sources, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom