Quick Dumb Question bout Optical Drives - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Question Quick Dumb Question bout Optical Drives

Guys, im getting a NEC i think, DVD+RW...yadiyadiyada, basically all in one. But i also want to be able to COPY CDS/DVDS, do i need another burner, or just a reader?

Old 03-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

and hows this one?
http://canadacomputers.com/index.php...689&cid=CR.196

and if you dont mind, can u look around that site and recommend one, or one from these sites ...
ecshop.ca
pcvonline.com

Old 03-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

if youll have only 1 drive (a dvd burner that is) youll still be able to copy existing dvds/cds, for cds youll have to copy to hard drive or make a disc image before you burn and for dvds youll need to rip em first , if youll have another drive then youll be able to copy from cd to an empty cd on the burner (drive to drive) but the dvd part wont change youll still have to rip em , anyway its better to make disc images/copy to hd cuz when burning from drive to drive theres always a risk that the burn will fail , so you can get along just fine with 1 drive but its a good idea to buy a dvd-rom for reading/ripping dvds/cds as the burner will likely last longer that way , liteon dvd-roms are very fast rippers
Old 03-25-2006, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

dvd-roms? you mean Burners? or Readers?
Old 03-25-2006, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

technicaly dvd-rom is considered a reader
Old 03-25-2006, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

oh i thought it was considered a DVD CD, can u recommend one from any of those sites, im not good wit drives.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

what about this site? theres really not much of a dvd-rom selection on the sites you mentioned
http://search.ncix.com/displayproduc...facture=Liteon
Old 03-25-2006, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

jeremy are you sure that even if you have a dvd-rom and a dvd-burner you'll still need to burn an image to disk?!
Old 03-25-2006, 11:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

i kinda dont want to order online.......those stores are close to where i live so i can pik em up. its not like in america, in canada we have to pay for shipping + 15% tax, and the cost just skyrockets.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by aliasaid
jeremy are you sure that even if you have a dvd-rom and a dvd-burner you'll still need to burn an image to disk?!
you meant make an image to hard drive and then burn , i think you misunderstood it a bit . i said when having both drives its possible to make a drive to drive copy (directly copying the cd to an empty disc on the burner) you dont have to make a disc image/copy to hard drive the cd when having both drives but its recommended as its plain bad to make a drive to drive copy due to high risk of the burn process to fail

Quote:
Originally posted by john3
i kinda dont want to order online.......those stores are close to where i live so i can pik em up. its not like in america, in canada we have to pay for shipping + 15% tax, and the cost just skyrockets.
LG is about the only dvd-rom choice on those stores you mentioned and after reading in various forums i'd say LG drives have pretty bad reliablity/longtivity

Closed Thread