Questions on PHYSICALLY Building My PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

undefined

In Runtime
If i have a 200GB HD installed on my comp and want to add it as a master and add a 320GB as a slave, will I lose the data if all I do is plug the 320GB in?

Re: Adding a HD - M/S question

Nope, you're safe. Just make sure the jumpers are correct (if it is ATA). Otherwise, just set it in the BIOS as master and slave.

What do I do if have a 200GB PATA hard drive and an IDE DVD burner (Sony NEC) when installing them? I have one standard IDE cable. They both each have the same # of pin connectors that fit the IDE cable. Do I use the HD as the master and put the DVD drive as a slave?

Also, my motherboard (layout) only came with ONE SATA cable... what if I have multiple SATA devices? It has 4 SATA slots on the actual motherboard (SATA1/SATA2/SATA3/SATA4)?

PATA and IDE are the same thing. Putting a HD and an optical on the same ribbon is not a great thing to do, but make sure the HD is master.

SATA cables are very cheap, so no worries. SATA only connect to a single device.

[I'll get the thread title for you.]

PATA and IDE are the same thing. Putting a HD and an optical on the same ribbon is not a great thing to do, but make sure the HD is master.

I see. How can I avoid this situation with my current setup? Since they both require the IDE cable and I only have one IDE cable (and connector) on my motherboard, I can't figure out a way to avoid this... :(

SATA cables are very cheap, so no worries. SATA only connect to a single device.

I'll probably buy a few off of somewhere, then, should I decide to add a SATA drive.

HDD as Master, optical as cable select.

Ok. I changed my Maxtor HD to "MASTER" and the optical DVD drive to cable select.

All I do now is hook up the farthest end of the IDE cable to the HD and the middle one to the optical DVD drive, right? Then hook up power from PSU and I should be good?

Thanks, Trotter.

Trotter, I ended up having only one IDE device, which is my DVD burner. It is still under cable select. I have changed it to the Master position of the cable, though it shouldnt matter right? It goes (Master) Dvd Burner ----- (Slave) Empty ----- Mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom