Status
Not open for further replies.

Serinox

Beta member
Ok here is my parts list so far :

Case:
LIAN LI PC-A71F Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Motherboard
ASRock X58 Extreme 3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card
EVGA 015-P3-1480-AR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Power Supply
SILVERSTONE DA700 700W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Processor
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Model BX80601930

Ram
OCZ Reaper Edition 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1333C9LV12GK <-- Eventually there will be 2x of these

HardDrives
2 x HITACHI Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K (0S00163) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

And for completeness sake the optical drive
SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - OEM

All of this comes in at ~2200ish (with 24 gb of ram).

My questions are:
1) is everything going to fit in this case? I've seen the desktop video cards these days they're huge. I don't want to order this case only to find out that the video card won't fit inside.

2) Is the listed power supply up to the task? especially when the ram is maxed. How much larger would the powersupply have to be to handle sli in the future?

3) I chose this case because it has good reviews about how roomy it is, sleek lines and it doesn't light up like a christmas tree. Is there a cheaper case available that has these same properties?

Also just a general question this build is going to be purchased part by part over a series of paychecks, are the fermi cards expected to come down in price anytime soon?

And lastly just because I've been reading the forums before posting this and have seen people recommend against buying large quantities of ram, I'm quiet sure that I need the ram, I have a system now with 12gb of ram and keep hitting the memory ceiling. This computer will be used for memory intensive programming and cuda/opencl programing primarily with gaming being a second use.

You have alot of nice stuff picked out. Don't spoil it with a ASRock mobo, get a Asus or EVGA. I would also get a smaller faster hard drive for the Operating System.

Any specific recommendations for the motherboard? I looked around on newegg and found this ASUS P6X58D-E which seems to be in the same price/features category as the asrock albeit with better ratings.

Also when you talk about a faster hard drive are you talking interface or rotational speed? my current thinking is to use one of the 1tb hard drives to hold the operating systems (windows and linux) + programs and use the other for data. but if there are alternative ideas out there I'm open to hearing about them.

LIAN LI PC-A71F Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I'm getting ready to start ordering parts and have another question if anybody would be kind enough to answer.

Does the above case work with a water cooling rig? water cooling isn't within my budget right now but down the road I might want to add it to the system to make it quieter and don't want to have to buy a new case if that can be avoided. The listed case mounts the power supply in the bottom and it looks like there is room at the top of the case for the radiator to be mounted can anybody confirm this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom