First off let me say that I am impressed and have enjoyed reading the information on this website. You guys are friendly and quite informative. This is my first post. I am finalizing my part selections for my new gaming rig I plan on building when income taxes come in but I have a few questions before I post my parts for you all to review.
1. SLI, is it all it's cracked up to be and is it worth buying an SLI capable motherboard? I want a computer that I can fully upgrade, say, two years down the road whether it be slapping another processor in or adding another video card or both. How much gain do you get by adding another video card? Is it essentially twice the power? I guess what I'm teetering on is would it be better to replace my video card down the road with something more cutting edge or would I get the same kind of gains by adding a second card?
2. Video card, I've decided to go with a 7800gt, just can't afford the gtx. Problem is there a a hundred different 7800gt's by different manufactures with slightly different clock speeds. These are the cards I am looking at. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=48
Now is this comparing apples to oranges or is there a clear cut winner?
3. Processor, I'm definitely going with AMD but I a little stuck on which card to go with. These are the two I am going back and for about. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubCategory=343
The 4000+ has a higher operating frequency but the X2 is dual core and could probably be overclocked to match the 4000+. Which is better in your humble opinion?
4. Socket type, I've read that 939 will be discontinued in the near future so how does that figure in to upgrading my pc down the road? Will I not be able to find a processor or video card to work with my motherboard when I plan to upgrade in a couple years?
5. Motherboard, This is where I am really confused as I know little about motherboards. I've got this lined up as potential candidate. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131524
Thoughts and opinions on this board. Any other suggestions? I may overclock in the future.
I know I asked a lot but this is my first build and I want everything to be as perfect as I can make it and I value all your opinions. So please, anyone and everyone chime in, it's greatly appreciated!