Questions about thermal paste.

fallenapples

In Runtime
I plan on changing the fan on my cpu. So when I go to to clean of the old paste can I leave the cpu in its socket? And also I noticed there are a lot of types of thermal paste. What specifications should I look for when choosing a paste?

You can leave the CPU in or take it out.

Any paste like AS5, MX-4, ect are all good and perform very similarly to the rest.

The best way to clean is use a coffee filter or qtips to take the old paste off both the CPU and heatsink, then use 91% isopropyl alcohol with qtips to make sure both surfaces are completely clean.

WHen that is done put a small grain of rice sized amount of paste in the center of the IHS and then put the heatsink on. You do not need to spread.

I did as you said and everything is fine so far. But when I chef the thermal paste, only about 70-80% of the cpu is covered. The corners are not covered with paste. Is this okay?

The cores are in the center, not the corners. So yes it's fine. And hopefully you reapplied after you "checked" because you ruined the contact once you took the heatsink back off.

Back
Top Bottom