questions about buying a dvd for desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
One, do I need to get a driver for any new dvd rom or burner I get? I have a 5 year old computer with xp home edition op system. The last dvd burner I bought was for a new computer I built, I don't believe it came with a driver.

Two, does a dvd rom last longer than a burner?

Three, does anyone have any favorites? I just need a reliable dvd so that I can reload my op system in case something goes wrong, I don't need anything fancy.

1. Some require it while others work out of the box.
2. If your going to spend money, might as well buy the burner.

You forgot #3 pete! :p

A basic Samsung or Pioneer drive will suit your needs just fine. They have good warranties and generally last as long as your PC.

You forgot #3 pete! :p

A basic Samsung or Pioneer drive will suit your needs just fine. They have good warranties and generally last as long as your PC.

Because I don't have favorites. I just buy what I find had good reviews.

First up, nearly all optical drives are installed as soon as you boot windows after installation. If not, they always have a drivers disk.

Secondly, I highly recommend a burner over ROM, purely because older technology tends to become obselete before newer, and the price difference is easily justified.

And lastly, I love ASUS burners. The extra $15 is worth it when it comes with NERO for free. I've forgotten the warranty, but its very reasonable.

So good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom