Question on Removable Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

firegash

Beta member
Hello,

I have a lot of music and video files that won't fit on my laptop's hard drive. If I want to access these files daily via an external storage device, is an external hard drive what I should get? I would need a 300 GB hard drive. Would it damage my laptop if I have it connected to an external hard drive all the time? Would a Maxtor OneTouch III be something that I would need? It seems that people use that for backup, but is it possible for me to access the files on the hard drive all the time?

What is the difference between 2.5" and 3.5" hard drives? Is it better to get a 3.5" hard drive in terms of reliability and speed (I don't need portability)?

Besides the Maxtor OneTouch III, what are some other similar products that would suit my needs?

Thanks for any help in advance,
Firegash

If you dont need anything portable, Just buy an external enclosure and a big hdd, plug those two together. Whenever you need access to that hdd you just turn the on switch on, and they access your files in my computer.

There is only one hting you need to worry about and that is power you'll probabily want something USB powered cause otherwise you'll only be able to access you files when there is an outlet avaible. There isint really a way to dammage your laptip with an external hard drive. Tell me were you would like to buy from and ill look some up.

2.5" (much smaller) drives use less power, slower, more expensive - The biggest model is 160GB

Both have the same reliability.

I think the best way to do it (if you don't have a seperate power source) is to purchase the enclosure that fits where your optical drive is - pop the 160GB in and use two HDs in your laptop at the same time.

i would consider just buying a 3.5'' ide drive, say for example a 300gb 7200rpm, it offers both speed and a good price. Then id buy seperately an external hdd enclosure. If you do it this way its cheaper than buyin as one complete package.
This is what i did, ebay was the cheapest at the time for me, cost me £90 for both and plus i get 3yrs warranty(DEPENDS ON BRAND) with hdd and 1yr with enclosure.
And the added bonus is that you can pick your own sweet looking encloure.
If you did want to use it to backup you can get software that backs up periodically, so no need to be pulled in by the maxtor and buffallo one touch backup systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom