question on installation parts? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2007, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default question on installation parts?

In molex 4 pin connectors (for my fans) does male or female connection determine the direction of electric flow? Or can it go either way regardless of whether the connection is male or female?

Are the Pentium D Presler processors 64 bit architecture? It would seem obvious yes, they seem new, but I want to be sure.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master
Send a message via AIM to Sora
Default Re: question on installation parts?

4 pin molex for a fan? Are you sure they aren't 3 pin? Thats what my case fan is.

The motherboard should have the male connector on the board so you probbaly can only use the female connector of the fan. Explain a bit more though on what kind of fan and what board you are hooking them up to.

Yes Pentium D's are 64-bit but they aren't the best CPU's. Which PD are you looking to buy? On April 22nd Intell will lower their Core 2's and these are much faster than pentium D's.

E6300 w/ Arctic Freezer Pro 7 @ 3.6ghz 1.4Vcore
Antec 900 Case
EVGA 750i FTW Mobo
4x1GB of G.skill DDR2-800
2 8800GT in SLI
22" Samsung Syncmaster
1 250GB WD and 1 Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0
Corsair 520HX 3DMark06 Score: 13900
Old 03-30-2007, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

I have these orange 120mm thermaltake fans. They have a black and red wire that connects to two four pin molex connectors, one male, one female.

I'm trying to power then directly to a new PSU, but they won't run. I'm wondering if the PSU is bad, or I'm connecting them incorrectly.

For the cpu, I was just looking for something new and fast, and compatible with the Asus board I was looking at, so I picked Presler from newegg. A couple of people have told me Presler isn't very good.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Content Team

They are actually 3-pins, there just isn't a 4th one inside the connector. You have both a male and female connector so you can loop fans together or what not, so you don't lose a molex connector. Though why they aren't turning on when you hook them up is interesting. Try connecting it in between something, like your harddrive. If you computer doesn't boot up off the harddrive there is probably something wrong with the fans.
Closed Thread