Question on HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
I already have this HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148149 and I've been running out of space lately so I ordered another one and had a question. I keep hearing about all this RAID 0 and RAID 1 stuff but what does it exactly mean?

I plan to have the HDD just for storage space so what RAID does my HDD need to be in? Is it as simple as I just plug in my HDD and I'm good to go or do I need to set the RAID manually? If so, how do I do it? Thanks in advance.

RAID 0 is having two hard drives recognized as one by your computer. So when you have your two 160GB hard drives in RAID 0, the computer will see it as one 320GB hard drive. This increases performance too, because the data is written and split between the two hard drives. And so information can be loaded faster from two hard drives, rather than one. RAID 1 is for security. When you have your 160GB HDs, in RAID 1, one of them is cloned off the other for backup. So if one fails you still have the other one. Now the downside to RAID 0, is if one fails , the other goes down as well. In RAID 1 theres not really a downside, it's just backup. It's not as simple as plugging in the HD, and you're done. You have to configure it manually. I'm shaky in this area, so maybe one of the other experienced TF members can help here.

What is the default on though? Like right out of the package?

edit: Would I also need to reinstall my OS and reformat? Or is it possible to add the HDD while keeping all my files and programs?

Well, when you just add the hard drive in, nothing will happen except, the computer will see that there is a new hard drive. Yes, you will have to reinstall windows and reformat when RAIDing.

Wait, so is it possible that I just add the HDD in as it is without messing with the RAID or anything as just use it as the 160gb storage? I do not want to reformat. All I care about is needing that extra storage space.

Of course. Just make sure that the extra hard drive you're putting in, has it's pins set to slave. RAID, is if you want extra performance or security. Seeing that you only want extra space, you don't need to RAID them.

Sorry that I'm a noob but does RAID 0 give any significant performance enhancement? Are there any cons to using RAID 0?

How would I set the pins to slave? Also the hard drive I have in my computer right now, is that in slave or master mode?

The hard drive you have in there now, is set to master. On the hard drive, there should be a label telling you how to set the pins to slave. The cons to using RAID 0, is that if one hard drive fails, the other goes down with it. I'm not sure about a significant performance enhancement, because I have never tried it before. But I imagine you'll notice the difference.

Ah, I see. So there should be a label right on the actual HDD telling me how to set the pins to slave? Do I need any tools in doing this? I noticed when I was building my comp, it did not come with a box, just a silver sleeve case.

Tools are not necessary for taking out the pin from the back of the hard drive, unless you have large hands or fingers. Yea theres a label or sticker on the actual hard drive, to tell you how to configure it for slave or master.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom