Question on Hard Drives and Gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCRMYZ

Banned
If I run my games off my eXternal hardrive will my games run slower.

My main internal hardrive currently is full.

I was wondering I have Applications like Sony Vegas, Photoshop, Nero and anything else you can think of on my 80GB along with games.

What should I transfer to my external hard drive.

I was told that games run slower off external hardrives.

Newegg.com - Seagate FreeAgent Desktop ST302504FDA1E1-RK 250GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - Retail

My hard drive.

Any other recommended use for this external would be greatly apreciated,

Thanks X 3.

they also run slower if on a diff partition of same hard drive. is you want to speed up games buy a raptor or SSD

yes they will run slower

dont go for a raptor though they are overpriced

if you want faster loading Raid will work and youll save money and get ALOT more space

There's an equation for how fast games will run. It depends on how much is loaded into ram when you start the game vs how much needs to be loaded during the game.

External HD's are slower because they generally use either USB or Firewire. This makes it take longer to read the data off the HD.

I would recommend moving some random files (IE your MY documents) onto the external HD, then installing the game locally.

Yea I think the read an write time would be horrendos for gaming an general application use. Media files are ok though its best to use one for a back up and extra storage.

Now I was thinking of putting some of the older games on the external hardrive.

My question. Does it matter if the game is newer or older for the external hardrive to go slower?

Also, the games I ment were like world of warcraft, and older games.

I was thinking about a similar question, my main hard drive that all my programs and windows are loaded onto is not only ide, but just a 4mb cache. I wonder how much faster itll run with a 32mb cahce sata II drive.

I was thinking about a similar question, my main hard drive that all my programs and windows are loaded onto is not only ide, but just a 4mb cache. I wonder how much faster itll run with a 32mb cahce sata II drive.

I would said you would notice a good difference in the two as for the external hard drive and running games from it it is possible and might work well with some bit not so hot with the newest games. If you wanted to run games an esata drive would have been the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom