question on graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZackM

Solid State Member
hey guys im new to the forum and had a question. i have a dell computer and i wanted to put a graphics card in it. i was just wondering what is a good one to get that isnt very expensive.
thanks

also how easy are they to install?

Its not too difficult to put in a new video card. If you have not done any work inside your computer before, it would be advisable to read about it . . . maybe cruise some websites on building your own computer. It is basically a matter of uninstalling your old video drivers, putting in the card, and installing the new drivers.

It would be important to know a little about your motherboard and your computer. Does your motherboard require an AGP card or the new PCI express card? It would probably help forum members to know your computer's specifications first before recommending a video card (type and speed of processor, memory, etc). Knowing about your budget would also help. There are some fairly good video cards (such as the 7600 GS) that can be had for about $100. The sky is the limit, however, with cards going up to 400-500 dollars for top of the line.

It would also be helpful for people to know what kind of gaming you like to do with your computer and the size of your monitor as these factors determine how powerful a card you will need.

Regards,

DeeJay:beard:

Another thing I can't stress enough ~(I've made this mistake TWICE).
Be careful of the type of card you get in relation to your computers power limits.
On two occassions I've gone out and bought myself a spanking new graphics card, only to come home plug it in and the computer shut down soon as it has to do any work.

Leaving me with the option of returning the card (pfft.. I don't think so) or upgrading.

If your system can take PCI-E, I "STRONGLY" recommend you go there.

Visit some review sites that test cards and have a read, like here.

But remember your graphics card will only work at full potential/or at all, if your computer can handle it.

So find out what your power supply is, if your mother board supports AGP or PCI-E and the size/age of your monitor (for resolution).

ok so if it doesnt have an agp or pci-e then what should i get? also i am going to check right now on the memory and stuff.

ok so i have 256mb of memory and my hardrive is 80gb. i dont know how to figure out if i have agp or pci. can someone explain please? thanks

Here is a motherboard with AGP: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813185074

Look at the image viewer and see the image with the annotated descriptions of the different slots.

Here is a motherboard with PCIe:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138264

Notice the difference in size and shape of the slot.

A program that might help you understand your system is PC wizard 2006, which can be downloaded for free. If you click on the mainboard section after it has analyzed your system, it will tell you what kind of buses your motherboard has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom