Question before first boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya i tried a really old 13 inch monitor too. The LG monitor i am using works fine on other computers though. The power supply is brand new too, it is working fine i think because all the fans spin and the dvdrom is getting power, cpu fan is spinning too. I was thinking if the motherboard is set from factory to not have the onboard graphics enabled i will have to get a video card before i am able to get any picture at all. If that is the case then clearing the cmos would be pointless too because it will just set it back to default onboard graphics off. I just don't see why it would be set up like that though.

Ya the 12v is plugged in. I dont have an agp or pci graphics card at all i can use. But i have to order a agp card for this build anyways so that is my plan. I am worried though that the video is set to pci as default and not agp, in which case i will have to buy a really cheap pci card. That wouldn't be to to bad because i do have an old Sony Vaio that i could put it in before i sell.

maybe the cpu i put in tonight will solve the problem though i hope.

If you haven't already, check your RAM. It is most likely the RAM that is bad because the onboard graphics shares memory with the system and therefore if the memory is bad, no video as well! So if you have more than one stick of RAM, try each separately until you find something that works and RMA the non-working RAM.

Again I agree with SurgVel. Sounds dumb but almost every single time Ive put together a computer using used Ram Ive had to pull the ram and reinstall it, First one stick, then start the com, get everything running, and then shut down and install the other stick. Im not sure why, just works. Of course thats with the older Coms that I mess with around here.

Ram was the first thing i checked. As i said a few posts ago i pulled the ram out of a working pc. I even put it back in the working pc after to make sure i didn't damage it. And i even tried a module of ddr333 which also works in another computer. I know 100% for sure it is not the ram.

Wow, then it sounds like a bad motherboard. I really can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't show any video from the onboard graphics. I would recommend RMAing the board at this point. The only other thing you could do is call the manufacturer and try to figure something out, but Newegg has great customer service and will get you a new motherboard in no time.

When you start up your PC is anything else besides the monitor, keyboard, and mouse hooked into it? I am really at a loss here so I'm shooting in the dark.

EDIT: I looked at their guide online for that motherboard and I have thought of a few new things to try. First I am not trying to make you sound stupid, I just want to rule out everything before you have a board replaced.

1. Is the CPU seated correctly? I am not familiar with the 478 socket CPU's, but perhaps you have inserted it facing the incorrect direction. The manual says to match up the marked corner of the CPU with the marked corner on the socket.. Just a thing to check.

2. If you haven't already, I would remove the "Clear CMOS" jumper and then try to power up with the jumper off.

That's all I can think of right now. Good luck!

2. If you haven't already, I would remove the "Clear CMOS" jumper and then try to power up with the jumper off.

That was going to be my comment. Some motherboards are stubborn about resetting CMOS. You may want to remove the CMOS battery, then set the Clear CMOS jumper, reinsert the battery and move the jumper back to normal operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom