Question about upgrading to SSD.

suppafreak

In Runtime
Hello,

I currently have 3 HD installed in my PC. All connected using SATA.

1. 300 GB - 2 partitions 200GB and 100 GB, 200GB partition contains Win7 x64 OS. Currently total free available space is about 150GB
2. 150 GB - Used for storage. (I believe it starting to fail, cannot copy large size files anymore. Tried running win checkdisk, but it could not fix it.)
3. 300 GB - Mostly used for video editing.

I want to upgrade all of the drives to SSD. I was thinking of getting two 256 GB and one 128 GB. I do not install a lot of software so the capacity should not be an issue even if I loose little bit of space in each drive.

I am using Asus P5B Delux Mobo with quad core CPU, 4GB of ram. The windows 7 score is 7.8 for all components except HD. HD's score is 5.2

This is the Storage information for Mobo

Storage

Southbridge
6 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports
Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,JBOD
JMicron® JMB363 PATA and SATA controller
1 xUltraDMA 133/100/66 for up to 2 PATA devices
1 xInternal SATA 3.0 Gb/s port
1 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)
Support RAID 0,1,JBOD
(by 1x External SATA & 1x Internal SATA)

Questions:

1. Is installing and partitioning SSD is the same as HDs? I am going to use this software to create partitions - Partition Wizard Bootable CD allows user to manage partition directly with partition manager bootable CD..
2. I have a ghost image of my current system. Once I partition the SSD can I just re-image it with my current image?

Yes, and yes. Just make sure you use the little trick to make AHCI work with your current install (if not already using AHCI), and realize it'll be costly.

Back
Top Bottom