question about soon to be rig...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNiGHTMaRe89

In Runtime
im thinking about getting an AMD Opteron 144 (939) to compliment my DFI nF4 UT-4 mobo, nvidia 6200le and antec neo 500 psu. also, im gonna be getting 512 mb ram.

i know this stuff is pretty basic, but im starting out small and working my way up. overall though, is the 144 worth the 70 bucks price tag on newegg? btw, i also have a zalman all aluminum heatsink for it.

im gonna be using it for work, gaming and school stuff.

Newegg concensus of the 144 looks pretty good, with the exception being damaged parts in transit, possibly due to packaging. But, with Newegg, you can't go wrong, as their RMA process is painless & quick in my experience. You should be able to overclock it pretty good, for a decent budget build.

EDIT: if a mod sees this, please move to the Building, Buying, Upgrading for General PCs forum./EDIT

'Tis a grand CPU. If you aren't overclocking, perhaps you might consider a 3700 for $93. It uses the same socket, has the same cache, but has an extra 400MHz on the 144.

I say get the opteron you will be able to overclock it to fx-55 speeds with that DFI Lanparty. Im sure you could get it to the same speed as that 3800+ without any problems. Go for the opty, plus it has 1mb cache instead of 512kb.

this is gonna sound a little newbish, but how do you overclock. i have never really tried it before, because some people have told me if you aren't experienced with it, don't even try it. so i dunno. i mean i know what i am doing. i have been working with pc's for years. but is there small baby steps to take in overclocking to make sure your doing it right?

Ya its pretty easy for basic o/cing. It gets complicated though whn you try to go so high or have to mess with the voltages. There are plenty of websites that teach how to overclock, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom