Question about SLI (Same Model or EXACT match?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holysnowva

Beta member
Hey Folks,

I am getting a new system. I already have an EVGA GTX560ti superclocked GPU in my old system (recently upgraded it).

Well I just ordered a new PC and chose to get a GTX560 in it as well hoping that the two would work with SLI (the MOBO and PSU are SLI capable).

I have found conflicting reports however, when I asked the CS person before getting the computer he said they would work, but now I have read the two GPU's must be IDENTICAL (meaning I would need a second EVGA GTX560ti superclocked) and that my current card might not work for SLI with the new 560 I'm getting.

So, easy question. Will any SLI ready GTX560 work with any other SLI ready GTX560 or do they really need to be identical?

Just to make it clearer: They are both NVIDIA GTX 560ti The one I already have is EVGA superclocked eddition, the one I am getting with the new PC I'm not sure exactly what, (just that it is a GTX560 ti)

It's suppose to be same card model, ie 560ti/560ti. Model doesnt matter, the superclock is just the inside setting, and easily switched with precision.

But whith the old 260-196, when they brought out the 260-216 it'd work with the 196 core 260, the 216 would dumb down...

So I'm not sure if anyone heres tried, but remember, you're going to need a 650 or bigger psu to run 2 cards.

Any two GTX 560 Ti's will work. However both cards will run at the same speed as the "Master" card. If your Superclocked card is in the top slot then it will be the default "Master" card and other card will run at the same overclocked speed (whether it can handle it or not). If the regular GTX 560 Ti is in the top slot then the Superclocked card will clock down to the speed of the regular card.

If you use a utility like EVGA Precision then you can control which card is the "Master" without swapping the cards around, and you can set your own clock and fan speeds.

EVGA Precision 2.1.0

Awesome! Great info! Sounds like I should leave the GTX 560ti that comes with my system in the Master slot then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom