Question about RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario Eats BK

Baseband Member
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of upgrading my RAM from 4gb to 6 gb, but I currently have 2 sticks holding 2gbs. (in dual channel config). But my question is how do I go from 4gb to 6gb when I have 2 x2gbs?

Here's the link to the ram I have: Newegg.com - Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5' Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PGV34G1600ELK

My motherboard: Newegg.com - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

(I have the mobo above but without USB 3, for some unknown reason)

Do they have to be the same RAM? What I mean by that is that if I need to get the same Patriot sector 5 but instead of 4gb I get 2gb?

They don't have to be the same brand but they do have to be the same type and speed

say I have 2gigs of pc2100 133 memory, I can put another stick any brand pc2100 133 memory, be fine and dandy, however I can not put in pc2100 233.

Let me rephrase that, I could put the two different speeds in, but it would not work.

I thought it's normally better to use RAM in pairs and to use less spread across 2 sticks, instead of 1 larger stick. I could be wrong though.

I'm fairly certain though that you need to use the same speed ram. Brand shouldn't matter but I always stick to the same brand whenever I change RAM.

Let me rephrase that, I could put the two different speeds in, but it would not work.

Not true. Only partial.

If you install different speed RAM the RAM ill underclock itself to the slowest speed in the set. so If I have 2 1066 sticks and 2 800 sticks, they will all UC to 800.

I thought it's normally better to use RAM in pairs and to use less spread across 2 sticks, instead of 1 larger stick. I could be wrong though.
This is true and I suggest you buy in sets more than anything.

and finally you can have different sizes as said above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom