Question about my new monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
OK, I know this is very basic stuff...but....I'm confused.

Just bought this monitor:

ASUS VH236H [Monitor]
Newegg.com - ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000 :1 (ASCR) Built-in Speakers

It's native resolution is 1920 X 1080. Great. However, right now, I'm still on my older Dell system with the Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adapter]. When I go to my screen resolution options, 1280 X 1024 is the highest resolution option. So does that mean my video card simply can't handle any higher?

However, my last monitor was a 22" Acer monitor:

Newegg.com - Acer AL2223Wd Black-Silver 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP Support 300 cd/m2 800:1 Built-in Speakers

and it had screen resolution of 1680 x 1050, which I was getting. I had the option for that But that options not there now for new monitor. What's going on?

Do I need to download something from Asus?

Also, on this system, I guess VGA to VGA is really only option that makes sense, correct? Can't use DVI?

FYI, Dell Dimension 3000, Windows XP SP3, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, Intel Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz.......

You need to install drivers for the new monitor. The computer doesn't know what the max resolution of the monitor is because the drivers are not correct, which is why it has a max res of 1280x1024. It's like a failsafe to avoid starting the computer with a resolution that the monitor doesn't understand which would result in not seeing anything.

So upgrade the drivers and all should be well.

You need to install drivers for the new monitor. The computer doesn't know what the max resolution of the monitor is because the drivers are not correct, which is why it has a max res of 1280x1024. It's like a failsafe to avoid starting the computer with a resolution that the monitor doesn't understand which would result in not seeing anything.

So upgrade the drivers and all should be well.

Thanks for quick response. Strange, Asus doesn't provide disk with drivers, doesn't mention having to download anything, and their website doesn't have it. I guess I'll call Asus see what story is.

Monitors generally don't need drivers, they have a feature called EDID which sends the monitor's resolution support information to the graphics card to auto configure the settings. However, some older graphics cards and operating systems do not work very well with EDID and instead fall back on a stock set of resolutions generally aimed at CRT's which were common when the graphics card was made. You can usually add higher resolutions with either registry tweaks or monitor drivers. If ASUS doesn't provide drivers just search for a way to add custom resolutions to your graphics card and it should work if you enter 1920x1080, 60Hz manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom