question about looking for a video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compatible to the motherboard? In reality, video cards have there own memory and need the powersupply connection to go into the board. If you find a nice card within your price range then you have more than a few hundred to choose from.

If anything else, I'd think compatibility issues are becoming a thing of the past sense AGP cards have gone the way of the dinosaur since the early 90's. The slots that I see now are 2.0 PCI Express x 16. You can go pretty crazy and get a motherboard that supports three graphics cards but they go x 8 instead of x16 which, for the amount you'd spend doing that would be cheaper buying an alienware.

AGP went the way of the dinosaur since the early 90s? Wow, I must be ancient. :p AGP died out for good around 4 years ago, when PCI-E got big.

But to answer the OP's question, all new cards are PCI-E in one form or another. All new cards coming out are 2.0, which are backwards compatible with older motherboards that have just plain x16. In short, you won't be able to get a motherboard that doesn't support today's graphics cards.

As for buying one, I wouldn't buy that one. What kind of games are you looking to play, and at what resolution?

i will be playing:
Guild Wars (guild wars 2 when it comes out)
CoD4 (and CoD5 once i get the money)
Dawn of War 2
plus lots of movies

AGP went the way of the dinosaur since the early 90s? Wow, I must be ancient. :p AGP died out for good around 4 years ago, when PCI-E got big.

Huge typo - I think in late 2004 or 05 is when I stopped seeing such a high rate of 'good' AGP cards. Of course, most A+ books are ancient compared to new technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom