A question about laser mice

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesouthazn

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,

My question is this: can laser mice work on soft surfaces, like cloth?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm a trackball user who lays back in a recliner when on the computer, with the keyboard on my lap and the mouse on my leg or chest (because trackballs do not require movement and can be used on any surface). The trackball's fine except that it doesn't have a scroll bar on it, and the only trackballs with scroll bars are either expensive, or thumb-operated (handling a trackball with my thumb doesn't sound very fun :freak: )

So I'm wondering if laser mice actually need a hard, flat surface, or can I use a laser mouse well on, say, a pillow, or my legs/ pants while reclining?

If they do need the flat surface, do you guys see any alternatives for me? Like an air or finger mouse or something?

Reclining back while computing/ programming is just so comfortable - I don't want to give it up ;)

Basically, any surface will do if it is a laser mouse. The range of the laser may vary, but if you can set the mouse on something (your leg, your chest, chair's arm, whatever) you could use it.

I love my (new) laser mouse, however, from the sounds of what you're doing, those trackballs might be better. Sure, the laser mouse would operate just fine on your pants or pillow, but I think it'd be too easy to drop and just be annoying in general.

Laser mouses can do what you mention. I use a G5, and I could hold it a few inches above my desk and still get cursor movement. You'll spend some money for those, and it might be a little oversensitive for what you're trying to do.

Thanks a lot guys.

So I was wondering, will any old laser mouse do, or will I need to buy the best of the best of laser mice, like spending $40 for a G5? Trotter, you say the range will vary so what kind of spec should I look for to know the range? the dpi?

I'm looking for something around the twenties - What do you guys recommend?

This mouse looks good: Newegg.com - Microsoft B7G-00004 Black 5 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser Mouse 6000 - OEM , what do you think?

Thanks again! :D

Honestly, any laser mouse should do. The one you pointed out should work just fine. Although, I recommend the mx518.

Well, the mx518 is only $5 more than what I was looking at due to shipping, and with so many good reviews, how can I resist?

It is still $40 though :/

Maybe ebay'll help me...

the mx518 is more of a gaming mouse, but a fantastic mouse nonetheless. but yeah i've used pretty much any surface. i've used water by just holding the mouse up a few inches. i only did it to see if it would work. and it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom