Question about HDD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

aetherh4cker

Corrupt Techie
Alright, I just would like to get a good understanding of the hard drive interfaces.

All the Motherboards I see on Newegg only support two kinds of HDD's:
ATA 100
SATA 3.0 Gb/s

Now I want one of those cool raptor hard drives that are supposed to be insanely good. Take this one for example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136012

However, I cannot find a Motherboard (I'm kinda looking for ASUS, Socket T (LGA 775)) that will suport Serial ATA 150. Does ASUS not make motherboards to support this interface? Or is there something else I'm not understanding? Taking SCSI out of the equation, could someone explain to me the other different types of interfaces?

Serial is a faster interface that uses smaller serial cables.

Sata 3Gb/s works with all Sata 150Gb/s drives. I think every Asus LGA775 supports Sata 150Gb/s.

Sata 3gb/s drives will work on 150Gb/s interfaces also.

So, I can plug that hard drive I linked with a Serial ATA 150 interface into my SATA 3.0 Gb/s spots on my motherboard and it will work as it is intended?

aetherh4cker said:
So, I can plug that hard drive I linked with a Serial ATA 150 interface into my SATA 3.0 Gb/s spots on my motherboard and it will work as it is intended?

Yes

aetherh4cker said:

And vice versa, although you won't get true SATA 3.0 but it will still work no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom