Question about Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jantar

Baseband Member
OK, I've heard that to avoid static electricity to damage my computer I shoud ground myself by touching the computer case.

Now, there is one thing that I don't understand: If the case isn't itself grounded (e.g. lying on the table) how am I grounding myself by simply touching it?

Can someone explain? I just want to understand what I'm doing.:)

Well, it's suppose to be when there are components like the PSU installed and the case gets the ground from there. Also, even by itself, the big metal case will somewhat absorb the static.

you're not actually grounding, you're bonding. We use them interchangeable but they are different. Static can occur when there is a charge differential. Lets say you are positively charged and the case is lesser so or negatively charged. That little shock you get is electrons jumping to equalize that charge..either from you to the case or the case to you, doesn't matter.

Therefore, because metal and our bodies are both conductors simply touching the case creates a transfer of these electrons to neutralize charges between you and the case and therefore remove the possibility of a static discharge (unless you build up your charge again).

Grounding actually removes the charge altogether rather than just equalizing.

you could either hold on to the case the whole time, or get a cheap anti-static wristband

meh, i'll touch the case before i install something and thats about it. My computer build station is the carpet floor in front of my plasma so i can watch UFC while building. I make sure to touch the case before starting and again if i get up and walk away. I've never had an issue with static.

you're not actually grounding, you're bonding. We use them interchangeable but they are different. Static can occur when there is a charge differential. Lets say you are positively charged and the case is lesser so or negatively charged. That little shock you get is electrons jumping to equalize that charge..either from you to the case or the case to you, doesn't matter.

Therefore, because metal and our bodies are both conductors simply touching the case creates a transfer of these electrons to neutralize charges between you and the case and therefore remove the possibility of a static discharge (unless you build up your charge again).

Grounding actually removes the charge altogether rather than just equalizing.

So, by touching the case I'm equalized with that case but may be yet charged and by grabbing say CPU or Mobo I may damage it? Sorry, it goes too much teoretical I guess. :)

meh, i'll touch the case before i install something and thats about it. My computer build station is the carpet floor in front of my plasma so i can watch UFC while building. I make sure to touch the case before starting and again if i get up and walk away. I've never had an issue with static.

But is the PSU plugged?

So, by touching the case I'm equalized with that case but may be yet charged and by grabbing say CPU or Mobo I may damage it? Sorry, it goes too much teoretical I guess. :)

Stop worrying about it. Chances that you will damage your parts are low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom