Question about an extra hardrive. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Question about an extra hardrive.

Ok so I have a Dell xps 410. I'm not sure what kind of motherboard or power supply, but I know that it's only like 375W. Right now that power supply is running my whole computer, including a dual core e6600 and a 1gb Ati radeon 4850. I was wondering if I got an extra internal HD for my computer, would I need a new power supply? Thanks for the help. Also, could anyone tell me or link me to a guide to how to hook to HD's together in one computer?

THANX

Old 11-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Question about an extra hardrive.

Here is a video about your question. Keep in note this is an eide drive and you might have sata. Someone may have to correct me here, but I haven't been "slaving" the 2nd drives via jumpers on sata hd's.

Also, are you looking at installing this new hd as a "d" drive or do you plan on raid dual striking or mirroring?

or maybe looking at external hard drives for taking music and movies to friends work instead?

External Hard Drive, External Hard Disk Drive, Computer External Hard Drive, Portable External Hard Driveat TigerDirect.com

Newegg.com - External Hard Drive, USB Hard Drives, Portable Hard Drive, WD External Hard Drives, Seagate External Hard Drives, Hard Drive

Old 11-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the help, but I want to make one drive have windows xp on it, and just connect another drive as a kind of storage thing so I can access it through the My Computer folder. Also, will I need to upgrade my power supply?
Old 11-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

About the power supply, you might get away with what you have. I've slaved a drive with less, but the power relies on the sum of the whole. Meaning, if your other peripherals are using up too much juice and you install a new HD and you boot and get a black screen- then you might need to upgrade psu. Thats the advantage of an external: it plugs into the wall (120v). Flash drives are getting popular too for mobility.
Newegg.com - USB Flash Drive, USB Flash Memory Drives, 2GB Flash Drives, 4GB Flash Drive, Flash USB
But, if you have your heart set on an internal, open your case and make sure you have another one of these (if getting sata) long enough to reach where you need it to reach. Also, there needs to be an empty sata
port on your motherboard. Just to clarify for anyone following the pic below is from the power supply and plugs into the back of the new sata HD and my previous pic of the red sata wire transmits the info from HD to MB

Where you thinking Solid State Drive for your OS?

Quote:
so I can access it through the My Computer folder.
Whether you decide to go with an external HD, flash drive, or internal HD you could access through My Computer