Question about 8-pin vs. 4-pin 12V rails

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFargle

Linux / HPC / K8s SME
Staff member
First off, this is the motherboard I have (got it for free):
Newegg.com - EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

It has an 8-pin connector in the top left where I would expect a 4-pin connector

I have two GTX 275's I want to run on this thing, as well as a Q9550.

My question is, will a power supply with a single 4-pin 12V connector (like this one) work? Or will I have to find and buy one with an 8-pin connector, like this one?

Thanks for any answers.

EDIT: Also, what's the cheapest name-brand (Corsair, Antec, etc) PSU you'd reccomend? This is really a budget build. The video cards and motherboard were given to me :tongue:

Do you think there are any cheaper that would support the cards?

And I didn't realize the Corsair one had an 8 pin.. Would a PSU with a four pin connector work? I've read somewhere that it doesnt matter, but I could be wrong.

I had a motherboard which was designed for an 8 pin connector, and it worked fine with a 4 pin connector in it.

Also, if you use a motherboard with an integrated GPU, it even works even if you just have a 20-pin connector.
The extra 4 pins on a 24-pin connector is to provide power for PCI-E video cards.

I went ahead and bought the Corsair PSU. wasnt too bad of a price after MIR. I'll take pictures when I have it assembled. I'm putting it in an old beige Dell XPS case :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom