Q about Mainboard connector - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Q about Mainboard connector

Hi there
I just bought a new computer and when i opened it up i noticed something that i'm not quite sure about. The connector that goes from the power supply to the mainboard is a 20 pin connector but the socket is a 24 pin socket. There is another 4 pin connector that also comes from the P/S that fits together with the 20 pin but it is not connected. Is this used for something else or should this be connected? Here's a link to a picture:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/snuff007/comp.jpg

Ive been adding hardware but i dont wanna fire it up until i know for sure. Since i opened the case my MDG warranty is void (which is complete BS if you ask me but that's another story) so i dont want to screw anything up. thanks

Old 09-11-2005, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

The 4 pin connector shopuld be connected or some parts of your motherboard won't be powered (like the CPU fan). It's called ATX.2.0 standard. I don't know if you should connect it next to the 20 pin motherboard, check your manual. My board has a seperate 4 pin connection on my motherboard.

Old 09-11-2005, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks major
the extra 4 pin slides together with the 20 to create a 24pin connector. The socket is a 24 pin socket so i'm assuming it should be connected but when MDG built it they left it hanging loose.

There's also another 4 pin connector coming from the p/s that plugs in on the other side of the mother board (near the CPU) I wonder if this is the ATX cable that you're talking about? i say that because the CPU fan was working without this other 4 pin plugged in?

I'm stumped, MDG support was clueless too. They said that i should probably leave it unplugged but no one there even knew for sure.

If it's not needed and i plug it in anyway, is there any chance of causing any damage? thanks
Old 09-11-2005, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

I assume MDG is something like Compaq/Dell right?

Did it run the computer without the 4 pin connector, or didn't you try yet?

I am pretty sure the second 4 pin connector (near the CPU) you mention is the one I am talking about.

If your computer works without it, don't change anything; if it won't, try pluging the 4 pin next to your 20 pin.