Putting a build together, odering later today. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Putting a build together, odering later today.

Hi everybody, I have a $500 budget including shipping. I have an OS and a monitor so I don't need those. I was looking at doing some gaming and some programming (once I learn how hehe). This is an Intel build but I like AMD too so if an AMD build would work better I'm up for that too. I don't plan on doing any over clocking so would the stock heat sink and fan be ok for me? Anyway here's what I have come up with:

Case:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Mobo:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

PSU:
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP500-2 500W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply - Power Supplies

HD:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Video:
Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX3850 512MD3 Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Memory:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

DVD:
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Old 12-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Putting a build together, odering later today.

looks good to me. only thing i'd change is the ram. I'd get 4gb instead of 2 if you can fit it into your budget.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks, Il see if I can find a good deal. Wouldn't my mobo only recognize 3.3gb of ram and not the 4? Il be using Windows XP Pro with SP3 32bit. Right now I'm at $491 including shipping hehe not too much wiggle room.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

yeah it will, but that extra gig and a quarter will be helpful.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks, I'll see what I can find.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Newegg.com - OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail (The Official Memory of the Championship Gaming Series) - Desktop Memory

only a bit more than the 2gb you have, a little worse timings but you won't notice that in apps, only benchmarking, and if you aren't oc'ing then it will be fine.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

Perhaps go with 3GB dual channel? 2x1GB and 2x512MB would keep it so you use all that you have installed and keep the dual channel benefits.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 12-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeVel View Post
Perhaps go with 3GB dual channel? 2x1GB and 2x512MB would keep it so you use all that you have installed and keep the dual channel benefits.
I like that hehe. I will just have to wait to get the 2x512mb for like a month. I also don't plan on getting a 64bit os until windows 7 comes out so that might offer the best performance until then. The other ram is nice tho and in my price range haha it tough choice, thanks for looking that up.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

dual channel has minimal benefits, and it isn't really seen much in every day usage.. only in benchmarks and if you game and it uses all of your ram will you see the benefits of dual channel.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Icic I might have to add that ram then, its a good price for 4GB.

Closed Thread