PSU Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpacyga

Banned
Hi, I just ordered a new video card (Geforce 7800GS, upgraded from a Geforce FX 5200) and I believe I will need a new power supply, however I do not know for sure. I can't seem to find the voltage for my PSU. I opened up my computer to have a look at the PSU and it is no where to be found. How can I tell what the voltage of my PSU is right now? Thanks.

There should be a sticker or inscribed on teh PSU on one of the sides telling teh Amps/Watts

7800 gs typically needs 20 amp on the 12v rail. forget watts amp is what matters.

are you 100% sure theres no sticker? maybe its on the psu's other side and you need to open the other side of the case to see it ,
what about searching up the recipe,or looking online at the pc specs if you bought it in one peice , you might find the info printed on a circuit board or some part inside the psu however openning up the psu will void your warranty but if you gonna do it then first unplug from the wall socket also disconnect it from the motherboard and other devices and do not attempt to touch the various componets inside the psu as some of em might still hold electricity so be carefull , anyway if you ask me if it got no sticker its a plain bad sign , whats your full system specs? if youll give em out ill be able to tell you what psu you need

My PSU has a sticker on it, but I can't find watts or amps on it (I have looked a couple times), so I don't know if I will even need to upgrade.

I have:

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Processor
512 MB RAM (I might upgrade to 1 gig though.)
Geforce 7800 GS
I am not sure what motherboard I have, because I have a DELL and I don't remeber exactly what it was.

So from this do you think you can tell what PSU ill need, or do you need more info?

thats intresting , and the model isnt on that sticker? cuz if it is you might be able to find its specs in google

anyway unfortunatly you got a "DELL" , and they use their propretary parts in most cases , your psu might be in a special dell form factor and a new non-dell psu might not fit in your current pc case also ive read in some places that some dell motherboards have the atx pins swapped in order to prevent ppl from using non dell psus also that some have a special 9pin motherboard power connector , i recommend this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153028
its a good qualtiy psu from a known & trusted company in the field and its resonably priced

but i recommend youll ask dell first about wether you can use a non-dell psu with no issues

Cool and cheap PSU, thanks, and wow I hate DELL. I guess I will check again for the model number.

an easy way to determind if you can upgrade your PSU. measure you PSU physical dimension. ATX = 6'' height x 3.5" width x 5.5" depth. Mini-ATX = 5" x 3.5" x 5" . MicroATX = 5" x 3" x 4" , Flex ATX is Even smaller than Micro ATX and they are not interchangeable. many branded pc don't make their own stuffs they just assemble other parts together. sometimes you just have to look harder for any marks or logos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom