PSU Help & New PC thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfgcjm

Baseband Member
This is my new build any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. What i need is help with my PSU I have no idea what wattage of Supply I'll need.

- Intel Quad Core Duo 2 (2.4ghz) Q6600
- DP35DP Motherboard
- EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
- 4 x 1024mb 800mhz Corsair 6400 RAM
- DVD-RW Dual Layer optical drive
- SATA II 7200 RPM HD
- 4 x 120mm Case fans

Welcome to Tech Forums!

First off, PSU wattage DOESN'T MATTER. (well, maybe a little)
What matters is the PSU rails. Now what are rails? Rails are voltage lines on a power supply. A computer PSU has many rails: 3.3V, 5V, 12V, etc. When you buy a PSU, you need to look for the amperage on the 12V rail. For that setup, any PSU with an amp rating of 35A should do, 40A is great. This amp can be combined sometimes as there are multiple 12V rails, depending on the PSU. A PSU with 35-40A should be in around 500-700W.

Good PSUs to consider:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV - Retail
PC POWER and COOLING EPS12V S61EPS Power Supply Retail at ZipZoomfly

Hey cfgcjm
welcometotf2xr9.png

Looks like a nice system. What is that DP35DP motherboard? Is it the P35-DS3R, by Gigabyte? I would suggest that, for your system build.

For the power supply, I would recommend the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w. Great PSU for the money, at zipzoomfly.com...

Do you really need 4GB of RAM? 2GB is more than enough. You would also have to have a 64-bit OS, to support 4GB of RAM. I would also suggest RAM like, the Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2-800.

thanks for the quick responses! b1gapl, the DP35DP is by intel. It's an updated chipset of another one of their motherboards more info if your interested.

As for the Power Supply...peterhuang913, i understand what your saying. I was originally thinking about an Antec TP3-650 Truepower Trio from mwave.com...i couldn't find any amperage ratings and i googled around for a bit but nothing.

Product Details

Feedback please

That PSU you linked is great.

One question: why did you choose an Intel board? The Gigabyte P35 DS3R or p24 DS3L is great.

to be brutally honest...i didn't know about it but now that i just looked it up it makes me wish i would have... One more question about RAM.

I'm obviously running it in dual channel mode. Would it pose a problem if two sticks were Corsair and two sticks were patriot?

Hi all,

I have a newbie side question about power for the video card. I'm looking at getting a 8800GTS as well and have read that the min recommendation of 26A on the 12V rail should be heeded. In your reply, you mentioned that 35A is good, 40A is better. But then you recommended a PS that only has 18A on the 12V rails. This is where I get confused.

I have an Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V ATX12V 550W PS. It has dual 12V rails rated at 19A each. Is this sufficient to power the GTS? How will I connect the supply to the card?

Thanks

> For that setup, any PSU with an amp rating of 35A should do, 40A is great.
> This amp can be combined sometimes as there are multiple 12V rails,
> depending on the PSU

Hey petronin
Welcome-to-TF.png

Your PSU has 38A, because it has two +12v rails, with 19A each. So the combined is 38A. More than enough for an 8800GTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom