PSU & Connections - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default PSU & Connections

Hi folks,

a nooob to the site.

I am disabled and have a Home machine. I was searching for help/data on my PSU & came across this forum. Have only looked at a few pages yet, but can see that there are tons of helpful & knowledgeable people on here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
ACER T120 Desktop. XPpro + SP3 + 2Gb (max) RAM + M.B-KM400 + Athlon 2400+

My machine came with a FSP200-60ATV PSU. I want to update it & was thinking of something at around 400W (hopefully to future-proof).

I'm not sure what connections my PSU has,,,,, or what to look for in a replacement.

This is where you folks come in.

Can you tell me just what connections this has (tried the FSP site, but couldn't find the techy info).

If you have recommendations for a replacement unit, i'd be pleased to hear about them.

all the best for now - & thanks for reading this.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast
Default Re: PSU & Connections

can't find much info on that model you listed, but i found this
Sparkle part number FSP200-60ATV Power Supply - FSP250-60ATV-1A
which they claim is supposed to be a direct replacement "upgrade" psu.

some of the connections it has are standard connections that pretty much any psu you buy nowadays will have; it lists a 20 pin for the mobo, a 4 pin for the cpu, 5 molex cables and 2 floppy connections.

but it also has 2 proprietary connections which you'll probably need to find adapters for if you want to buy a new psu.

btw, why do you want to upgrade your psu?

Old 06-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: PSU & Connections

Hi MM,
Thanks for replying.
I'm having just a spot of bother with my machine, in that every now & then, the thing won't boot past the desktop/windows - then freezes. The cursor goes about as normal, but nothing, inc icons, programs, on, off will work. I can only shut down by ctrl/alt/del and either Shut Down or ReStart. Restart usually does the trick. It only happens every couple of months or so and someone suggested that the PSU might be lacking power sometimes ! 99.9% of the time - things are o.k, so there can't be a lot of a problem,,,,
As I intend to upgrade the machine innards at some point, I thought that a bigger PSU might be in order.

My Drives are IDE at the moment and I thought that the connections might differ on the PSU and I need to buy accordingly,,,, and there may well be other differences that I am unaware of ?!

As in my OP, I am disabled so whilst I can't afford to spend a great deal on it,,,, I do need to keep it going.

Closed Thread