PSU and Case - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: PSU and Case

I'm not 100%, but pretty sure that I'm going with the XClio. It's been recommended to me twice and I like what I've read about it.

Now, the Lian Li cases are nice, but I worry about space when adding in the size of the 8800GTS and Heatsink/Fan.

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Techie

It looks like it will fit. I was looking at the pictures of the Lian Li cases. That side fan it has down there doesn't obstruct anything since it's way off to the side. What you have to be more concerned is whether the GPU will block off most of your other expansion slots (in which case, most high performance video card will since they're so long and big).

Old 08-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah, the GPU will knock out some expansion space, but for what I need it should be fine. My space worries more concern the GPU running right into the HDD cage. The 8800XXX are rather long. I do like the CPU air duct, but I am wondering about how well it would sit over a larger heatsink/fan. Once again, I'm new so I haven't seen all this in action before, so my questions are limitless...

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Techie

I wish I can get one so I can let you know about that. I'm still using my old case, but for sure when I do upgrade, I'm getting one of those Lian Li cases.

My logic tells me that Lian Li won't make such a great case if it doesn't support the finest video card in there.

I don't see a lot of other members use this case either. Perhaps it's the cost or maybe it's because the looks is so...well....bland. They are rather boring looking compared to the Soprano and Tsunami cases (I think they are also by Thermaltake), etc.

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
j12
Monster Techie

Corsair HX520 or HX620.

Laptop:
MacBook 2.2GHz Santa Rosa | 120GB HDD | 4GB ram
Desktop:
Intel C2D E6300 @ 3.2GHz | 4GB ram | 880GB total HDD space | Gigabyte P965-DS3 | eVGA 8800GTS 640mb | Corsair HX 520 | Audigy 2 ZS platnium | Antec 900
Old 08-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDCorolla1 View Post
I was just noticing the comments posted by reviewers of the PSU. It's the first time ever, that I've actually seen the manufacturer post directly into Newegg in response to someone's problem.

"Pros: Cheap, does the job. Running an overclocked quadcore, one optical drive, two HDs.
Cons: Loud.
Other Thoughts: I should have dished out the extra $$ and bought something quieter"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Manufacturer Response: Dear customer, We are sorry for the noise. Please contact rma@rosewill.com or call 1-800-575-9885 for your replacement at our cost.

Regards

Rosewill"
I wouldn't want to be trusting Newegg reviews.

I'll agree with both b1gapl and j12's suggestions on the PSU.
Xclio GreatPower 550w, Corsair 520HX/620HX.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

this may be complete and utter rubbish but i swear companies like newegg, ebuyer, scan what or what ever have people who just write good reviews on stuff, becuase even on the worst PSUs someone is there saying how great it is and how it improved there system
Old 08-26-2007, 04:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

That's why we don't trust newegg reviews.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 08-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm going with the XCLIO power supply and a NZXT LEXA BlackLine case. I loved the look of the case and the airflow looked quite fine for my needs. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gapl View Post
That's why we don't trust newegg reviews.
i see, for example: "Pros: Harddrives, optical drives, floppy drives, and even the power button can be mounted anywhere in the case. Power suppy mounts vertically to make room for another 90mm exhaust fan. More room than you'd ever need. Very wide, so gigantic CPU coolers fit well with room to spare. No more removing your video card(s) just to get a harddrive out. All harddrives and optical drives are tool-less install, but screw holes are still available on both sides. Second harddrive cage located next to the power supply, next to an exhaust fan. Front HD cage also has 120mm LED fan for intake and HD cooling. 120mm blue LED intake, 120mm blue LED and 90mm rear exhaust, 90mm top exhaust. These fan's are not wimpy either. They cool better than my last case with 6 high output 80mm's. Haven't tried, but it would probably stop a bullet. Sturdy as heck, even when stripped down. "Quick-release" kinda thing for like PCI cards and such, easily romovable if you prefer to screw your cards down"

this guys like giving a description of the product, no-one sane person writes that much on a case

Closed Thread