PSU and 9800GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curbkiddytech

In Runtime
My friend wants to play StarCraft II on his desktop that his parents bought for him a few months back. However, his system specs can't handle the game yet so I thought I would help him out by upgrading a couple parts. This is what he has now.

RAM: 6GB
Video: Intel (R) G45/G43 Express Chipset
PSU: 300W
CPU: Dual Core 2.8Ghz

I know that his video his onboard and can't handle the game. I was thinking adding a GeForce 9800GTX+ but his 300W PSU won't handle that card. Now my question is can I disable his onboard graphics and install the 9800 and make that work?

Also would a 500W PSU power the card and the rest of the system just fine? He has 1 hard drive and CD drive so there isn't much to power. Or am I gonna need a 700W PSU?

i don't quite understand your 1st question. Disabling the onboard video isn't going to somehow make his psu provide enough power to run the card. when you install a dedicated card on a rig that was running off onboard video, it will almost always automatically disable the onboard video.

a 500w should work, preferably from a good brand.

Haha I know the PSU is what's holding him back, my question is will a 500W power supply be enough for the card and rest of the system or do I need more like a 700W?

Is Antec a good brand or not? I usually go with OCZ but I have an Antec 500W that I can use now instead of ordering an OCZ.

Is Antec a good brand or not? I usually go with OCZ but I have an Antec 500W that I can use now instead of ordering an OCZ.

Which Antec? as all companies make gems and total ****.

However... my entire system fully loaded only draws 520Ws giver or take... So your friends system should draw may be 380Ws. So even if the 500W is crap it should power it no issues.

I got the PSU and 9800 installed about 4 hours ago and its working fine so far he says and Starcraft works wonderfully. Thanks for the helps everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom