pros and cons of making your own

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spent probably only about 2 hours or so picking the parts that i think would suit me. Once you have that together, you can post em here, and people will tell you if it'll work. Its pretty simple :)

Its exactly what i did, i knew how to work on a computer but really nothing about how to build one. These forums have been so helpfull and someone has always answered a question i have asked.

honor man said:
but you get no tech support if you make your own. also no warranties. isnt that a concern?

That shouldn't be a concern because you can always get an extended warranty on the more expensive components to your build - the CPU, GPU, Mobo, etc.

honor man said:
i put an engine in my car by myself though.
I would way sooner try to build a computer than put an engine in a car. When building a computer the only tool you need is a screwdriver.

Still if you don't want to be bothered with putting it all together, configuring the BIOS, downloading the latest drivers for everything, ect. then www.ibuypower.com is a good alternative. You pick the parts, they build it. :)

Alot of people have this preconceived notion that building a computer is hard, and one of the benefits of building one is tearing down that misconception. Not to say that every build is easy as 1-2-3, but like everything else in the world, there is a chance to run into an unforseen problem. I didn't get my first computer until I was about 1998, im 30 yrs old now, and I have never attempted to build one before. I had never even seen the inside of a computer until then. I bought all the parts and slapped it together and all was well. It was definitely cheaper to build one rather than buy one, and it served it's purpose well.You learn something in the process and you can customize it to your hearts content.

Cons: If you go in blindly and don't do your homework, you can very easily waste lot's of time and money on a machine that will piss you off and make you regret trying to build it yourself.

Pros: SOOO much cheaper, meaning you can get an even better computer

Have fun making it

cons: sometimes parts won't work, and you have to RMA shit

Pros: Cheaper, you can overclock your stuff without a locked bios, you can pick exactly what you want to fit your budget instead of getting all this AOL crap from dell.

Cons: If your looking for a super super cheap computer looks like you'll have to go with the 300 dollar dell, Oh yeah if you mess up with OC'ing then your going to fry your stuff ;)

Other stuff: if you dont know what parts to choose, post your budget up here, and plenty of people will give you links and parts to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom