Project 1G for Gaming (around $1G also)

Status
Not open for further replies.

turboxchaz

In Runtime
Project $1G

What I have now: (custom built like 4 years ago)
CPU - AMD Athlon XP 1700+
Motherboard - who knows
RAM - 256 MB
Video Card - nVidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Hard Drive - Capacity: 57.2 GB
Optical Drive - Broken DVD drive, CD-RW drive (48x16x48)
Power Supply - Stock
Case - Some random one.
Speakers - Cheap $10 ones but I use headphones.
Monitor - MGC (Got for free)
Mouse - Bought $20 at Target.
Keyboard - Came w/ the computer
Operating System - Windows XP

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor - OEM VS. AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHz Socket 939 Processor - OEM

Motherboard - Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard VS. BIOSTAR TForce4SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM - mushkin High-Performance 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 991433 VS. Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory Model KVR400X64C3AK2/2G VS. WINTEC 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AMD1400-2GK-R

Video Card - POWERCOLOR X1950PROXTR256W Radeon X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Extreme Edition VIVO HDCP Video Card With AC Cooling - OEM VS. eVGA 256-P2-N549-T2 GeForce 7600GS 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Optical Drive - SAMSUNG DVD-RW VS. Lite-On DVD-RW

Power Supply - Thermaltake Toughpower 850W W0131RU – NVIDIA QUAD-SLI APPROVED, FOUR +12V RAIL READY VS. Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails

Case - No decision.

Monitor - BenQ FP93GX Black 19" 2ms (GTG) DVI LCD Monitor VS. CHIMEI CMV 946D Silver-Black 19" 2ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor VS. Hanns·G JW-199DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Operating System Sticking with Windows XP

Approximate Total : $704~1152
Note: This is without tax, the Windows XP, and shipping.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reasons: (Please tell me if I have the wrong idea or if I'm just overpricing myself because I know I'd like a cheap computer since I won't overclock or do something computer crazy.)

CPU - It was a tough decision between those two. As I read in a guide in this forum, AMD was a better gaming processor, so I decided to go with that. Socket 939 because it was the better of the three (939, 734, A) Although I'm kinda wondering about the AM2 as there are AM2 "mobos."

Motherboard - Decent price and matches the CPU socket 939. Although the Foxconn's user reviews seemed very dull. The BIOSTAR seemd to have better positive reviews.

RAM - Motherboard is dual-stick and 2GB is well worth gaming.

Video Card - Uh, PCIe16 as well as the cooling feature? Can't choose between the two.

Hard Drive - Kewl. (Question: What are HDD Controllers and RAID, as well as the Racks for HDDs?)

Optical Drive - These are combo drives right? They were the ones that had the most user reviews with positive feedback.

Power Supply - Both look very reliable with active PFCs but leaning towards the latter.

Case - I'm looking for one that may fit the above components as well as maybe a watercooler and maybe fancy it up a bit with a thermometer.

Monitor - Widescreen is awesome while watching movies, anime, and not sure about playing games though.

Operating System - Just because.

Closing

What other accessories do I need for my future computer? I still don't understand watercooling (even though I wanted it.) as well as heatsinks and cooling fans. Also, I know I need ethernet for internet and other stuff like that, but what else? :)

Thanks for your review; whew it took a long time to make this post.

CPU=

I recommend the Athlon 3400. It's an excellent price, overclocks easily, and performs very fast for the price range. Don't go for the 4000, not really worth it for the extra $$.

Mobo=

The FoxConn motherboard looks good. But I'm kind of an idiot on motherboards.

RAM =
2GB Of the Wintec memory will be good enough. I have similar RAM, works excellent, very fast, and gets the job done. Too bad I paid double :(

Video Card =
I recommend the 760)GS, however, the one you listed is $100 without rebates, this one is $85 after rebates http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130075

Hard Drive =
A-OK!

Optical Drive =
I don't care for LightScribe, but again, it's your computer. I would just go for the standard 16X DVD burner (I have 2 of them). LightScribe and 20X burning speeds are pointless.

Power Supply =
You're spending too much :eek:. You might want to try something from FSB Group. Performs better and is cheaper.

Monitor =
If you don't really need DVI (who does), there is an awesome deal on a 19" Widescreen ViewSonic, $149 after rebates! It's $60 off the original price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116065

Operating System =
Vista is still buggy. Good choice for sticking with XP SP2.

Hope this all helps you out. :)

Mobo

I don't really like FoxConn anymore because of the fact that there were many negative comments, so it kind of frightened me.

Vid Card

Sounds good. I'll consider it.

Op Drives

But just to make sure, the one I showed is a Cd/DVD combo right?

Power Supply

Someone in these forums said that the more expensive was better because of the brand names and all that junk...as well as PFC was necessary to prolong computer life in a way.

Monitor

That looks good...what exactly is DVI again?

Thx.

so is AM2 a better option than 939? because im thinking of maybe getting AM2 in the future, when it actually is widely used or perhaps gets more attention in the hardware store since its new...

As I read in a guide in this forum, AMD was a better gaming processor, so I decided to go with that.

guess nobody saw that.

The amd cpu's as of this moment are getting trampled by the performance of the Core2Duo cpu's. I'd highly recommend getting an intel processor instead of an AMD.

my 2¢

eek! since when was it intels > amd ?? i guess the guide i read was last updated april of last year...but Static_11 states in Section 2 of his guide that AMD is better at multitasking (which i do) and i dunno about gaming...

oh..but then i see nitestick's post that Intel's new Core2 is better. Ok.

So if I change my CPU to Intel, do I have to start over from the ground up? Ah. Also, how BIG of a difference does [Athlon to Core2] make?

ahh..but again, AM2's are new so...what is AM2 vs. Core2Duo?

turboxchaz said:
eek! since when was it intels > amd ??

So if I change my CPU to Intel, do I have to start over from the ground up? Ah. Also, how BIG of a difference does [Athlon to Core2] make?

ahh..but again, AM2's are new so...what is AM2 vs. Core2Duo?

Before Core 2 Duo, it was the general concensus that AMD CPUs were better at gaming and were generally preferred over Intel P4s. But when Intel released Core 2 Duo last July, it completely turned over the CPU situation. Now Conroes (the codename for Core 2 Duos) offer better price/performance than AMD CPUs, and they overclock like crazy.

Now, you have a $1,000 budget. That's enough to make a gaming rig. Here's what I propose. I assume you don't need new keyboard, mouse, speakers/headphones and OS, and that you can keep your current case.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86Ghz - $187.00
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 - $132.99
Memory: G.Skill 2x1GB DDR2-800 CL5 - $184.99
Video Card: eVGA GeForce 7900GS KO 256MB - $175.99
Hard Drive: Western Digital 320GB Sata 3.0Gb/s - $84.99
Optical Drive: LG 18X Super-Multi DVD+/-RW - $29.99
Power Supply: FSP Group 400W (36A on two +12V rails) - $36.99
Monitor: Hanns·G 19" (1440x900) Widescreen LCD - $179.99

Total: $1012.93

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back