What I have now:
(custom built like 4 years ago)
CPU - AMD Athlon XP 1700+
Motherboard - who knows
RAM - 256 MB
Video Card - nVidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Hard Drive - Capacity: 57.2 GB
Optical Drive - Broken DVD drive, CD-RW drive (48x16x48)
Power Supply - Stock
Case - Some random one.
Speakers - Cheap $10 ones but I use headphones.
Monitor - MGC (Got for free)
Mouse - Bought $20 at Target.
Keyboard - Came w/ the computer
Operating System - Windows XP
- AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor - OEM VS. AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHz Socket 939 Processor - OEM
- Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard VS. BIOSTAR TForce4SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
- mushkin High-Performance 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 991433 VS. Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory Model KVR400X64C3AK2/2G VS. WINTEC 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AMD1400-2GK-R
- POWERCOLOR X1950PROXTR256W Radeon X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Extreme Edition VIVO HDCP Video Card With AC Cooling - OEM VS. eVGA 256-P2-N549-T2 GeForce 7600GS 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card
- Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
- SAMSUNG DVD-RW VS. Lite-On DVD-RW
- Thermaltake Toughpower 850W W0131RU NVIDIA QUAD-SLI APPROVED, FOUR +12V RAIL READY VS. Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails
- No decision.
- BenQ FP93GX Black 19" 2ms (GTG) DVI LCD Monitor VS. CHIMEI CMV 946D Silver-Black 19" 2ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor VS. Hanns·G JW-199DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
Sticking with Windows XP
Note: This is without tax, the Windows XP, and shipping.
(Please tell me if I have the wrong idea or if I'm just overpricing myself because I know I'd like a cheap computer since I won't overclock or do something computer crazy.)
CPU - It was a tough decision between those two. As I read in a guide in this forum, AMD was a better gaming processor, so I decided to go with that. Socket 939 because it was the better of the three (939, 734, A) Although I'm kinda wondering about the AM2 as there are AM2 "mobos."
Motherboard - Decent price and matches the CPU socket 939. Although the Foxconn's user reviews seemed very dull. The BIOSTAR seemd to have better positive reviews.
RAM - Motherboard is dual-stick and 2GB is well worth gaming.
Video Card - Uh, PCIe16 as well as the cooling feature? Can't choose between the two.
Hard Drive - Kewl. (Question: What are HDD Controllers and RAID, as well as the Racks for HDDs?)
Optical Drive - These are combo drives right? They were the ones that had the most user reviews with positive feedback.
Power Supply - Both look very reliable with active PFCs but leaning towards the latter.
Case - I'm looking for one that may fit the above components as well as maybe a watercooler and maybe fancy it up a bit with a thermometer.
Monitor - Widescreen is awesome while watching movies, anime, and not sure about playing games though.
Operating System - Just because.
What other accessories do I need for my future computer? I still don't understand watercooling (even though I wanted it.) as well as heatsinks and cooling fans. Also, I know I need ethernet for internet and other stuff like that, but what else?
Thanks for your review; whew it took a long time to make this post.