Processor swap...okay to direct swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoysNightOut

In Runtime
I have an older CPU I am turning into a download server mainly at the moment, and I want to upgrade it's processor from another older CPU I have laying here for parts.

The download one currently runs an athlon @ 1.47GHz, but I want to throw in an HP model's athlon xp @ 1.67GHz. So just up it a little bit in MHz by 200 or so roughly, just for the extra edge, may as well because it's not being used anyhow.

Now can I direct swap these mobo to mobo? I'm pretty sure the mobo's will support eachother's athlon chips, just want to know can it be direct swapped, or do I have to clear the mobo memory or something before doing it and lose all my data and what not.

Thanks anyone for advice or info!

They should swap no problem (that is of course if your mobo autodetects the CPU), you don't say what kind of mobo you have. I would check the specs on the mobo, you might have to upgrade the BIOS.

My only concern was the bios yes. I guess I'll just swap them out and see what happens hah. I would think they would direct swap because they are closely related models. The motherboard it's coming from is some HP model, the motherboard it's going to is an MSI board like in this new comp I'm on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom