Processor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

VistaGamer

Baseband Member
I have an AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000 3.0 GHz (2 MB L2 cache, I know it's low) and I want to run Crysis. According to Canyourunit.com, Crysis needs 4.4Ghz to run at recommended speed.

But my friend says that OC'ing your Processor makes all guarantee's null and void.

Knowing that OC'ing increases chance of overheating, the fact that guarantee's are going to be null and void, and the fact that the stock fan for this certain processor is supposedly "Cruddy", Should I OC my processor to around 4.5 Ghz?

I am going to get a Corsair 650W soon, So I might be able to buy SOME Fans ( I just don't want them to be too expensive, if anyone has any suggestions)

.......... X2 6000+ couldn't reach 4.5ghz even in its dreams. I love AMD and they make decent products. But its only Intel that over clocks like crazy and maybe eventually Deneb. Also please for the love of God. Do me a favor and back hand slap your friend cause he deserves it.

Athlon X2 6000+ at stock speeds with a powerful GPU (8800 GS and above) should be able to handle Crysis.

Oh by the way, I know I shouldn't do this. But the X2 6000+ is TWO Cores that each run at 3.0ghz. So you are running 2 Cores at 3.0ghz. Which means even a lowly X2 4400+ should be able to handle Crysis.

You're not going to be able to really OC to 4.5 GHz with an AMD processor. And you don't need a 4.4 GHz dual core CPU for Crysis. That might be the "overall speed", so you'd have 6 GHz on the demented Canyourunit speed scale. Your processor should be more than okay for Crysis, as Crysis is a graphics card heavy game. What graphics card do you have?

Your friend is right that OC'ing a CPU voids the warranty, unless you have a Black Edition CPU from AMD, or Extreme Edition from Intel. Nobody really cares about it though lol. If you need to warranty your chip, more than likely they won't check it and will give you a replacement, unless of course there are burnmarks on the chip :p.

i have a single palit radeon hd4850. I heard it can run crysis on high graphics.

but my friend had also told me that the GHz labeled on the box is the combined GHz of both cores (so my 3.0 GHz dual core is 1.5 GHz each core, he says).

Should I stop listening to him? Hehe, I always take my computer advice from him ( and from this forum, thanks again). So far it's been good.

Anyways, I want to be able to run Crysis on High Settings. Maybe not as high as a very expensive computer, but High Enough so the Pixels don't look like crap, and it just looks a tad worse then Very High

Yes, stop taking advice from him. You do NOT add the core values (nor divide them, or multiply them, or any kind of arithmetic on them).

You should be able to play Crysis just fine. I ran it on all high settings on my 8800GTS 320mb, and can run it on my 8800GT even better.

but my friend had also told me that the GHz labeled on the box is the combined GHz of both cores (so my 3.0 GHz dual core is 1.5 GHz each core, he says).

ur friend is ret@rded.. and yes u should stop listening to him, and yes ull be able to play the game fine on high settings.

Should I stop listening to him? Hehe, I always take my computer advice from him ( and from this forum, thanks again). So far it's been good.
Also please for the love of God. Do me a favor and back hand slap your friend cause he deserves it.

Make sure your friend never reproduces for all of our sakes.

Hehe alright, I'll do that.

Carnage, what was your average FPS on Crysis? Everything was smooth on High right?

Also, What is the difference between "rated" and "Clocked"? Is Clocked what it is set to, and rated what it COULD be set to?

Because My processor is 3.0GHz rated at 9.0GHz, and I didn't really catch that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom