Processor and Motherboard not compatible

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentblackhat

Solid State Member
I have a Shuttle AK38N motherboard with 512MB of DDR ram and a AMD Duron 1.0ghz processor. I tried my friends Athlon XP processor on my motherboard. The computer started for a brief second but then immediately shut off. When I put my durron back onto the motherboard, it started right up. then I put the athlon xp on the board and it did the same thing, shut down after a brief second.

On the Shuttle website it says its compatable with Athlon XP processors so I dont understand why it wont work. I was testing that processor out to see if I wanted to get it for my computer also. ( The website is http://eu.shuttle.com/archive/en/ak38n.htm )

any help/advice is appreciated

you can try updating the bios while you have the duron in, and then trying to stick in the Athlon. It could be that your current bios doesnt support the athlon architecture.

I know that the memory works with the athlon that I have because to see how much memory i want, i took the memory out of his computer and used it in mine, and before he needed a stock of memory out of my comp to test out in his comp with this processor. I allready have the ltest bios version avalaboe for my motherbard.

The shuttle site says "Note: If an Athlon XP processor with 166/333MHz FSB is used, for KT333CF-chipset the DDR333-memory is essential, as only synchronous operation is possible on this setting." I am just not sure how to find what the FSB is on the processor

I am goin to get a computer speaker yto hook to the board tonight since i dont have one hooked to my motherboard so incase there is beeping i can see what it is
Here are some pictures of the chip to show what exact one I have.

chiprg3.jpg

tagst3.jpg

The startup screen:
startuptg4.jpg

alright so when it says this(below) then i should be allright, spec-wise. i have a duron socket A so the socket is taken care of. theprocessor is a 266fsb. and im pretty sure oim good on the memory. i am goin to go out and buy a computer speaker for my comp to see if when it shuts off it makes a beeping sound

One thing i am confused about is where it says that it supports the 200/366/333 then it says supports the different models. is there a difference between a T-bred(model 8) or are they saying that the t-bred series is model 8? also i saw on the internet that there were 2200's and then 2200tbreds, is therea difference? thanks for the help so far

AMD Athlon XP and Duron processors for socket A with 200/266/333MHz FSB
supports Thunderbird, Palomino (model 6), T-Bred (model 8) and Barton up to 3000+
FSB infinitely adjustable: 100...166MHz (in 1 MHz-steps)
Note: If an Athlon XP processor with 166/333MHz FSB is used, for KT333CF-chipset the DDR333-memory is essential, as only synchronous operation is possible on this setting.

speaker installed, found sound

I installed a speaker to the motherboard and right when the comp shuts off, it makes a sound. its a constant sound till you pull the power cord....its a high pitch then it switches to a lower pitch then it switches to the high pitch again. can anyone tell me what that means?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom