Processor/Memory Confusion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThusToTyrants

Solid State Member
So I've been thinking of using this processor in my new build, Intel® Core, where it states the memory specifications it says compatible with DDR3-1066/1333.
Does this mean that the processor and memory have to be compatible? I thought only the motherboard had to be compatible with the processor and memory individually... can anyone help to rid me of this confusion.......

No. To get full 1600, for example, you have to go into your BIOS and overclock it. (Slaymate, I think that's right..)

Edit: Maybe this is easier. I have a i3 2100 in my PC.

Intel® Core

I am running 1600 RAM on it.

Is that how most CPUs are, having to overclock to run faster than 1333 ram?? I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly....lol

The Memory Controller is built into the CPU so the Memory does need to be compatible with the CPU. The standard Memory speed supported by the i5 and the i7 is DDR3-1066/1333 MHz. This is more or less the minimum requirement, the i5 and i7 can easily handle memory speeds of DDR3-2133 if tuned properly and if the Motherboard supports speeds that fast. The biggest thing you want to worry about is making sure you buy DDR3 memory that is rated at 1.5v. The Memory Controller in the newer i5 and i7 CPU's is designed to use memory rated at 1.5v whereas the older i5 and i7's were designed for memory rated at 1.65v. So you will find memory rated at different voltages.

For most i5 2500K or i7 2600K user I recommend using this memory. I just noticed the price is really low, if it isn't a typo error you should jump on it.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom